SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been bitten by the sailing bug over the past 5 or so years and getting worse. I want to start the planning process of taking a year or so off and sailing around the Carribean. I'm figuring it will take at least a few years, as I don't have a boat yet and have kids in 3rd and 2nd grade who will need to be home schooled. We are leaning towards a Catamaran because of space and comfort with the family. Any advice or suggestions (websites, books, boats, etc) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
Welcome, Matt.

I'm just around the corner and up the road from Media.

First off, did that bug that bit you teach you how to sail? Where are you in that process so that those who want to offer advice know where to begin.

You might spend some time in the Cruising and Liveaboard section of the forum. I believe there are a few threads about cruising with children that you might check out.

Again, welcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been around boats my entire life. I grew up in Ocean City NJ on the water and went deep sea fishing most weekends. I owned a 20' Grady White Adventure as an adult and sold it when the kids arrived. My father-in law introduced me to sailing 5 years ago and my wife and I have taken 3 ASA classes since then. So I know my way around boats pretty well and getting their on the sailing part.

I'll check out the forums you mentioned.

Thx

Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts