SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I grew up sailing dinghy's and after a long dry spell, am now looking for a first boat for myself and my son (15)

We're located near Vancouver BC, and would like to find a 14' boat that can be used for a bit of racing (handicap is OK), plus day trips. There isn't much in our local classified ads at the moment, but two have caught my eye: a vintage (75) International 14 and a Hobie One 14. I can see right away that they're vastly different boats.

Will the Hobie (monohull) plane? Is it as exciting to sail as the i14?

Decisions, decisions . .

Thanks for all replies.

Mark

· Registered
4,170 Posts
Reaction score
I have a Hobie One 14 (also known as Holder 14). Sailed it with my 3 kids when they were young, now I still like sailing it. It is a very stable, fast boat that will plane easily. Very exciting to sail in winds over 10 knots. Look for good sails and good condition of the dagger board box (there are often cracks there from grounding, not easy to fix).

· Freedom isn't free
3,344 Posts
Reaction score
I had a Capri 14.2 and my buddy had the holder 14... we bought both our boats used at nearly the same age and condition at the same time...

I found the Capri 14, held up better in a blow, and was marginally faster. Especially with some tweaks to the rigging.

But I can honestly say the Holder/Hobie 14 with is flatter hull form will more easily plane than the Capri 14.. but having gotten caught in an approaching thunderstorm in both (winds pushing 20 knots)... we both had no problems getting the boats to plane on a broad reach with 2 adults aboard... it's quite a hoot to do actually, but little margin for error when you do, but I suppose that is the nature of the light boats with centerboard (capri 14) and daggerboard (Holder)...

My apologies, I forgot to mention the Holder 14, Hobie 14 One, and Vagabond 14 are all the same boat. The more colorful sails are from the Vagabond 14.

This was a good shakedown cruise day for our boats, on Lake Nockamixon, back in 2000. Boats beached together at the marina launch ramp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.