SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there folks. I am contemplating buying a boat and have some very basic questions. First about me: about 60, great health. I have some crewing and chartering experience and Basic Keelboat certification. I've about decided to really learn to sail I am going to need my own boat. I have two 20 something sons who are anxious to crew but I want to sail singlehanded as well.

I've been researching boats and have settled on something like the Alberg 30 for a couple of reasons: value for the money, seaworthiness and great owners group for support (Alberg 30 owners group on the Chesapeake).

Some of the boats I'm looking at are very basic - that is no electronics, etc. Some have the old gas engine that I'd want to replace with a diesel.

So my first question is: how does one go about getting a quote for these upgrades? Contact a boatyard? What are some good ones in the Chesapeake area?

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,152 Posts
In a word (or a contraction of two words): don't. Don't buy a used boat with the intention of replacing the Atomic 4 with a diesel. It will never be worth it. Find one that has already been repowered.

You can't give away a used boat in that vintage on the Chesapeake now - few are buying and there are many good used boats for sale. Find one that is in good shape and low ball the seller. It is a buyer's market and looks like it will be for the foreseeable future. Find one with a working diesel if that is what you want.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Having recently gone through a repower (old 30+ YO diesel to new diesel), I heartily, overwhelmingly, agree with James. Either buy a boat with a gas engine like the Atomic 4, which from what I understand, also has a great support community, or buy a boat with the diesel already installed.

For everything you'll have to go through to go from gas to diesel, you will pay about 2x or more the initial cost of the boat just for the new engine. If we put our boat on the market today, there's no way we can recoup that cost.

Reactions: CatMan22
1 - 4 of 4 Posts