SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and having trouble finding guidance on attachment to the sail. I have a Wichard 1/4" D-with-bar, was going to have it spliced on. Second thoughts though, a snap shackle could make the halyard useful as a topping lift, or maybe I ought to just tie it to the furling swivel.

Any best practices that can be shared?

And yes, I am a newbie ...

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
I use a snap shackle (which has a built in swivel) on my spin halyard. It is spliced in place. It also doubles as a dinghy lifting crane when I bring the dinghy up to the foredeck.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Snap shackles are great but I don't use them for critical applications. They can come undone if you're not conscientious about making sure they're fully "snapped" and/or if there's any chance that they'll flog. Whether a spin halyard is considered critical is up to you but I'd go with a standard shackle. Even though the chances of it opening inadvertently are small, getting a spinnaker around your prop isn't fun.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Snap shackle is fine. You want to be able to connect and disconnect with ease. If you're worried about it coming undone, then put a wrap of tape around the pin. The screw shackle takes a while to connect.

Or if you want to go Gucci, use a trigger shackle. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the excellent responses. My sailmaker is advising me to use a shackle for the main and just go with a knot for the other sails. I will probably follow this "do-no-harm" approach initially, while looking at all other options. Note that the top swivel on the gennaker furler (Harken 1900) doesn't appear to be well-adapted to a shackle of any kind, and also has edges that look like they could chafe a knot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts