SailNet Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Chief
18 Posts
Hi Allen, I've been following this thread ( and will continue to do so) with great interest as I just acquired a Midship 25 and trailer gratis. :) Long story there. Anyway, my Midship is missing a sail drive and a marine head. No sweat. Fixable. There seems to be so little information on Midship and Parker-Dawson boats. I would welcome any advice on information sources for these great pocket cruisers! Like you I intend to sail my boat in the ocean. Any recommendations for a sail drive for this boat would be greatly appreciated.
Shannon

·
Chief
18 Posts
Allen, thanks for the detailed reply! I can't do PM's yet. Too few posts. Anyway, Wow, a lot of work on the Midship! She's beautiful. So is the PD 26. I lucked out when I found out my colleague's dad was trying to give away a sailboat. No one seemed to be interested! The Midship had been stored in a large shed for several years. The boat is in great shape, very clean and mostly dry. As I said before there is no engine and the aft marine head was missing too. I'm doing a detailed survey chasing wires, scuppers, water lines, hull, etc. Currently the boat has been fitted with an outboard motor mount on the transom. It is an awkward set up for handling with the aft cabin in the way. So I'm going for a sail drive setup as best choice. 2nd choice would be installing a prop shaft through the hull with all the associated hassles like shaft alignment, thrust bearings, etc. I have some experience working on and handling motor vessels as a deckhand. Anyway, any suggestions where I could find similar drive systems for the Midship? This is a new area for me. I intend to sail most of the time. The motor is mainly for safe navigation in and out of marinas. To motor sail or just motor seems I would need a bit more horsepower e.g. 15+ HP. The fuel tank is 15 gallons I believe.
On a side note I noted in the forward cabin under the cushions near the bow is a stowage area filled with foam! Not sure why. I suspect the designer did not want any excessive weight stowed near the bow to prevent the bow plowing into waves. Just a guess.
Thanks!!
Shannon

·
Chief
18 Posts
Thanks so much for the sage advice! I hope I can return the favor or at least pay it forward!
Once I figure how to up load photos I attach them to this thread.
Once I hit 15 posts I can then PM. :grin
I think the foam filler in the bow stowage compartment was OEM.
I am getting more and more excited working on my first boat!! :pirateraft:
Shannon

·
Chief
18 Posts
Hey Allan, this is my first attempt to up load pics on this site. Let me know what you think re. the engine bay. I had to show off my boat too. :grin
I welcome any suggestions for buying a rebuilt or used powerhead and sail drive. I can do rebuilds if parts and service manual are available. I'm picking up some great ideas from your projects. Very helpful.
Thanks again.
Shannon

Attachments

·
Chief
18 Posts
Yanmar diesel is a good way to go. I downloaded specs for the engine including the SD10 SD. Need to take some measurements. Way the engine bay appears I would have to have the engine facing aft. Not sure that is doable. May require a smaller powerhead. This boat is worth investing in a tier 1 motor and SD.
Just speculation at this point. Once I'm more knowledgeable and learn to avoid ban assumptions and common mistakes I'll commit to a particular engine and drive. Long learning curve here. :)
Shannon

·
Chief
18 Posts
There used to be an actual marine head in the movable console. There is a macerator motor still attached. You can see the outlets on the transom. They are well situated above the waterline. I intend install a new (or used refurbished) marine head. I'll have a porta-potty placed in the niche in the forward cabin.
I like the cubby hole storage set up. Very nice cabinetry! I shall plagiarize your ideas shamelessly!

·
Chief
18 Posts
Just WOW. I agree, I have very Micky Mouse OEM front hatch latches. I'll take you up on the kind offer and let me know how I can repay you guys. Your gracious sharing of information, time in replying, and just plain being great shipmates warms my heart. Thanks for including me in your project!!
I'm going to set up the rigging and sails this weekend and check EVERYTHING. Lots to do. Still doing a survey expanding my list of TTD. Working on my boat is very therapeutic. :)
Shannon
PS.
My wife and I are visiting our oldest Coast Guard son and family next week near the SF Bay Area . There is a Marine Engineering outfit recommended by my brother in Sausalito that rebuilds marine engines. I'll see what they have to offer. :)
S.

·
Chief
18 Posts
Hi Allen! Tough luck with the rudder. Some how I think you will make a new improved one.

It has been a while. Made it through a heavy winter. Hope you and yours are well.

For my Midship 25 I am going electric propulsion. Thunder Struck Motors has a great 5 Kw motor kit that should be enough for the boat. Looks like I'll be able to hook up the motor direct drive too. I'm still shopping for a used (to be rebuilt) sail drive (SD) leg. My concern is the length of the SD. What are the dimensions of Skaggs SD? I cannot find any specs on the Baldwin SD. I guess I'm just not using the right search criteria. :p
I will be setting up PV panels over the stern deck. Fo! passage making I'll probably include a small gen set. I'll be using a folding prop.
I keep learning new things from you guys! I hope to post my efforts in photos soon on my own thread. Refinishing and making new woodwork first.
Thanks!
Shannon

·
Chief
18 Posts
Hey Allen, what brand of marine varnish do you recommend? I'm ready to pull the woody parts off top deck and in the cabins and refinish, rebuild, and or replace. I like the book cubbies you mentioned and will build them. Also I think I'll replace the stern cabin hatch and forward cabin washboards. Weather is fine now. I'll be doing my natural wood cabinets in my home bathroom at the same time. :) I figure the marine varnish would be great for the bathroom too.
Shannon

·
Chief
18 Posts
Hey Allen, I need to do one more public message to be able to PM. :p I'm pretty sure the fuel tank was pulled along with the power head and sail drive. I assume the fuel tank was secured in the compartment under the seat hatch along with the battery. If I had it I would have given it to Staggs! Anything else I can be of help please PM me!
Thanks again for all the great advice and information you both have posted!!
Shannon

·
Chief
18 Posts
Hey Allan,(Stagg too) I had a hiatus over a year due to my wife's cancer. She passed away in February. So I put my boat on hold. I'm back and planning to get the boat in water this year. So anyway do you have a recommendation for an outfit that can build stays etc? My side stays are frayed on my Midship 25.
As I said before I'm going electric to include PV panels etc. I'm going to order through Thunderstruckmotors in California for the drive system. I need to get a sail drive off of an Evinrude to match up to the motor. So glad to be back on board and I will post pics of my progress either on this thread on start a new thread.
Cheers!
Shannon

·
Chief
18 Posts
Hey Allan! Your rudder scabbard is more robust than my MS 25 ensemble. I am shamelessly plagiarizing your ideas i.e. nylon bushings, Allumahyde II paint, and fiberglass enhancements. My oldest Coast Guard son and family are visiting this Memorial weekend and we will be setting up the rigging with the new stays from Zern Rigging, Check all sails and just have a damn fine time. We will also be placing the Flag on my wife's gravesite (she was in the Women's Army Corps.) Have a wonderful safe Memorial weekend.
Shannon

·
Chief
18 Posts
OH, yeah, a question re. my Midship 25 project. Would you guys mind me posting my boat's (SV Second Wind) progress on this thread? I figure consolidation of ongoing projects of practically identical boats would be helpful to other owners of similar
craft. Otherwise I'll start my own thread. :)
Shannon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.