SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 152 Posts

·
Chief
18 Posts
Thanks so much for the sage advice! I hope I can return the favor or at least pay it forward!
Once I figure how to up load photos I attach them to this thread.
Once I hit 15 posts I can then PM. :grin
I think the foam filler in the bow stowage compartment was OEM.
I am getting more and more excited working on my first boat!! :pirateraft:
Shannon

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Parker Dawson/Midships are a small community so the more you know the more you can help others out so paying it forward goes a long way.

If you need detailed pictures or measurements of either of our boats do let me know.

·
Chief
18 Posts
Hey Allan, this is my first attempt to up load pics on this site. Let me know what you think re. the engine bay. I had to show off my boat too. :grin
I welcome any suggestions for buying a rebuilt or used powerhead and sail drive. I can do rebuilds if parts and service manual are available. I'm picking up some great ideas from your projects. Very helpful.
Thanks again.
Shannon

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Good looking boat! You've done alright on that one.

Looks like someone added the pedestal steering as the tiller steering cable is still in the engine bay.

Not much of anything left of the saildrive stuff but the hole. If you want to go back to original equipment, you are looking for a Balwin Saildrive unit. I would seek the unit itself and not worry about the power head, I am pretty sure you could spend 15 minute on your local Craigs List and have a running 9.5 Evinrude outboard to poach the head off of for less than $250 in your hands. You DO NOT want an OMC unit, just a Balwin. They did not make a ton of these but they are around, do some calling to some used marine parts places and see if someone has one sitting about they can cut you a deal on. If you get the majority of it, most of the rest can be made out of chunks of metal and a saber saw (that's how Balwin did it) We will have Staggs out soon and will take pictures. In reality, these are just an adapter that goes in the hull that allows you to attach an otherwise standard Evinrude outboard lower end to an otherwise standard Evinrude outboard power head. Not much to it, but you will need it!

I would see this as an opportunity to make the jump over to a standard inboard diesel. The original diesel in these us the Yanmar YSE-8 which is what I have in mine. It's a fairly dated design and is quite large/heavy for all it does so I would measure to see if you could fit a more modern (and easier to find) 1GM10. Dealing with adding the tube and shaft, the motor mounts etc will be a nuisance but it will only be a nuisance once and after that you will have power on demand and a very economical means to putter great distances sipping fuel when sailing is not practical (inland waterways, windless days, etc).

Post up some pics of your cabins, looks like you have a "Deluxe" model, I am curious what that looks like in the Midships time frame.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

This is the saildrive unit in Staggs prior to us cleaning it all up. As you can see, it's mostly just fabbed up plates and commercially available bits and pieces that sort of allow everything to bolt together. In a pinch, I am pretty sure you could make all this stuff yourself, there's no intricate castings and such involved, mostly just drilling holes and cutting/welding plates. They were CLEARLY made by hand, one at a time, in a basic work shop, you can see in the above picture for instance where someone came in from the side with a band saw to cut the inside circle freehand rather than springing the extra money for a hole saw.

·
Chief
18 Posts
Yanmar diesel is a good way to go. I downloaded specs for the engine including the SD10 SD. Need to take some measurements. Way the engine bay appears I would have to have the engine facing aft. Not sure that is doable. May require a smaller powerhead. This boat is worth investing in a tier 1 motor and SD.
Just speculation at this point. Once I'm more knowledgeable and learn to avoid ban assumptions and common mistakes I'll commit to a particular engine and drive. Long learning curve here. :)
Shannon

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
@bzohio68

That's probably a better question for Toyota guys than us. My Parker Dawson with its inboard diesel, fully loaded for cruising tanks full etc, tips the scales at just at 6000 pounds on it's tandem axle trailer. With much less stuff and the gas inboard Staggs boat weighs noticably less but we have never ran it across a scale. If Toyota means up to 6000 is fine, you should be fine, if they mean 6001 pounds will destroy time itself then I might be worried. My Tundra is rated for 8000 and it seems to do just fine.

@cw3hogan looks great!

Glad to see I was not the only one who's thought to stick a plate rack there. If you want to double up your coffee cup capacity you can fit 4 of the USGI melamine coffee cups in that holder. I do like the silverware behind trick, I wish I had thought of that.

If you search my posts you can find a tutorial on converting the Kenyon Homestrand stove you have over to Kerosene. That worked stellar and made that a much more useful cooker.

Quite a bit of floatation foam in there!

My YSE 8 diesel engine is fitted facing forwards (the normal way), to service the front of the engine I get to do a little bit of the cat with his catnip mouse stuck under the refrigerator act fishing around in there but it's pretty manageble even on the relatively huge YSE engine. I can take detailed pictures for you if it helps. Access to the transmission and the exhaust elbow is excellent from the back end obviously.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
A few other mentions as well:

The original light fixtures while somewhat dated looking do lend themselves to easy conversion to LED, nothing more to it than just switching bulbs. Stagg wanted a red or white option so we switched his front cabin lights over to 2 position switches and added sockets for red LEDs as well. Switched to LED, you get really good lighting in there and we rarely run my 110V lights even when at the dock.

If you look at your paneling, you will notice that there are cut outs behind several places where the paneling is solid. We gained a lot of useful cubby space by opening up matching holes on the panels and gaining access to the space behind. It's easy to see on the boards, just look at the dust marks on the back and trace yourself out a suitable oval and go to town.

Stagg opening up some space on his.

We also gained some additional use out of that area by attaching 48" flat web bungees along the line of screws that secure the panels in place. These have proven WILDLY handy in practice and were a cheap and easy mod.

You can see some in use in the back cabin behind nappy time Windy here.

·
Chief
18 Posts
Starboard profile. I'm still just doing survey at this point. The plate and cup rack I believe was OEM but great idea. I can't believe anyone would use shag carpet in this fine sailboat!

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Looks really good!

Have you winched your keel up and down a bit yet to make sure everything is moving? You can generally get a bit of movement on the trailer and at least make sure everything is free.

Your back cabin seems to have a combination of the great throne box that came on Staggs Midships encasing the porta john and the vanity that came on my Dawson. That does seem to eat up a good bit of space. Are you planning to keep it or are you going to reduce it in size and stash the head elsewhere?

You also have the odd panels over the cut outs in the back that Staggs midship had. On the Dawson, they have little bookshelf cubbies in there. We copied them and they pretty much just popped right into the recesses on the Midships as well. It was an easy project requiring nothing much more complex than a mitre box.

·
Chief
18 Posts
There used to be an actual marine head in the movable console. There is a macerator motor still attached. You can see the outlets on the transom. They are well situated above the waterline. I intend install a new (or used refurbished) marine head. I'll have a porta-potty placed in the niche in the forward cabin.
I like the cubby hole storage set up. Very nice cabinetry! I shall plagiarize your ideas shamelessly!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

This may also be of interest to you. It's the updated style latch for the front hatch. We have been less than impressed with the front hatch retention on Stagg's Midships and are making a set of these up for his, It's not much harder to make 4 than to make 2 so I'll make you some up as well.

·
Chief
18 Posts
Just WOW. I agree, I have very Micky Mouse OEM front hatch latches. I'll take you up on the kind offer and let me know how I can repay you guys. Your gracious sharing of information, time in replying, and just plain being great shipmates warms my heart. Thanks for including me in your project!!
I'm going to set up the rigging and sails this weekend and check EVERYTHING. Lots to do. Still doing a survey expanding my list of TTD. Working on my boat is very therapeutic. :)
Shannon
PS.
My wife and I are visiting our oldest Coast Guard son and family next week near the SF Bay Area . There is a Marine Engineering outfit recommended by my brother in Sausalito that rebuilds marine engines. I'll see what they have to offer. :)
S.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Make sure you get good measurements so you know your space constraints, even if they don't have something they may know a clever solution. Obviously if you happen to spot a Baldwin saildrive you should think about it a bit too.

Staggs front hatch has blown open in wind storms out here... It's absurd... The Parker Dawson style hatch latch is WAY more secure.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

East Wind and Sunflower pulled out and derigged for highway transport in preparation for a final trip of the season down to Kentucky Lake.

One last hurrah for 2016 before we finally admit it's time to winterise and tarp everything up.

21 - 40 of 152 Posts