SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, finally decided to try sailing after years of dreaming and thinking about it. Signed up for some lessons this summer, bought a book and even found an old used boat to play with in the mean time. Think I'll be posting several pictures asking for help putting this thing together...not a clue really what I'm doing. Had a friend stop by last night, look at the boat and said "Wow, theres a lot going on in there" referring to all the lines, shock cords, pulley's ext. He then told me the happiest days of a boat owners life are the day he buys the boat...and the day he sells it....man I hope thats not true.

Talk soon

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
A 505? It is a little rocket ship!
505 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Maybe not the best beginner learning platform since it likely has every sail control known to man. Still, if you start with the basics, using just the jib & the main you will learn a lot (save the spinnaker for when you are comfortable with the other sails).

In terms of how to rig all the lines? Check the 505 sailboat 1 Class website:
International 505
Specifically: Fixing up your boat

That little boat will have you scooting over the water in no time.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
A 505? It is a little rocket ship!
505 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Maybe not the best beginner learning platform since it likely has every sail control known to man. Still, if you start with the basics, using just the jib & the main you will learn a lot (save the spinnaker for when you are comfortable with the other sails).

In terms of how to rig all the lines? Check the 505 sailboat 1 Class website:
International 505
Specifically: Fixing up your boat

That little boat will have you scooting over the water in no time.
And that's from a man who teaches sailing.

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: bywright

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol had a good laugh at the replies, thanks for the encouragment! As well as the links. Luckily the boat didn't come with a spinnaker. 505 just refers to to the over all length and class of boat....I think, haven't found a name or serial # for the boat so I just call it a 505.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So as I approach mid summer I've got a few books down range now and a weeks worth of sailing lessons. The 505 is ready for some new brightside paint and a few new parts on order. Really enjoyed the lessons on the 420 but really looking forward to getting this boat out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts