SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought a 78 Beneteau Evasion 32. Shes taking on more water than she should through the old packing. I'm gonna have her hauled out for some work next week and I'm trying to decide the best course of action ahead of time. Opinions? Thanks

·
Master Mariner
9,111 Posts
Pretty boat.
I was very interested in the dripless until I learned that should it fail, the boat must be hauled out for repairs. Should a packing gland fail, I can repack it in the water, even underway.

·
Emmalina
98 Posts
I think drip-less is ok for safety if you regularly change the bellows but not a lot of use if you don't do a lot of miles ! IMO Stick to stuffing.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I went from drippy dripless to traditional stuffing. Yeah it drips. It wont sink the boat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The message seems to be pretty consistent here at the Marina too. Looks like new packing is it. I suppose I should have the cutlass bearings looked at while I'm in.

·
bell ringer
5,130 Posts
I went from drippy dripless to traditional stuffing. Yeah it drips. It wont sink the boat.

I am going to packing next haul out. My current dripping dripless has dripped and sometimes just streamed water from the start. The PSS before that had a bellows crack that could have sunk the boat.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I've been very happy with my Volvo dripless shaft seal. I don't believe they've been known to fail catastrophically like the bellows-type. They just start dripping slowly when they get past their prime. Maintenance is a quick yearly grease job and burping the seal if the boat comes out of the water. Only downside is the manufacturer recommends replacing it every 500 hours, but they're relatively cheap.

·
Master Mariner
9,111 Posts
The message seems to be pretty consistent here at the Marina too. Looks like new packing is it. I suppose I should have the cutlass bearings looked at while I'm in.
Absolutely, and don't forget new zincs.

·
Administrator
7,715 Posts
I have the Volvo Dripless... and yes, you need to grease it every year.

For the initiated, its easy. Get a plastic straw, stick it into grease so the grease goes up it an inch. Squeeze the sides of the black rubber boot. when the gap appears between the shaft and the boot shove the straw in until its more than 1 inch in. let the boot go, compressing the straw. put the straw out and the grease stays in.
Go onto next boat job.

Reactions: SanderO
1 - 13 of 13 Posts