SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a new pocket cruiser in New England next spring and am interested in how list prices for such boats compare to the actual sale prices. I'm particularly interested in the Hunter 27 and Catalina 28, but would appreciate real-world pricing info on any new <30', <$100k pocket cruiser appropriate for New England coastal cruising. Thanks.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Unless Catalina changes their production plans, you won't be able to get a new Catalina 28 - they have not been making them in the last couple of years, since moving the molds to their Florida facility. Hunter is producing the 27 on an order-only basis right now. We have sold a few new Hunter 27s in the past two years, at an average sales price of $65,000 in the midwest. The Hunter 27 was a very nice sailing boat, and has a lot of big boat features that make it a nice step up from the 25.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Consider the Catalina 309. I think it's one of the best new boats out there. I think Catalina is correct when they assert that it's a good value even compared to used boats.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info on manufacturing. Unfortunately the 309 looks to be a little too expensive, unless my Boat Fund experiences Madoffian growth before next spring. It does appear that Eastsail is currently manufacturing affordable pocket cruisers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well, you stated your price range as being <$100k, and you might be able to sneak a 309 under that price if you can find a good deal (and I imagine there are deals to be made these days).

I'm going to have to disagree on the Harbor 25, because it's way, way less boat for about the same price. I remember seeing those a while ago, and then picking my jaw up off the floor when I saw the price! I'm sure it's built well, but unless I start hanging in a new tax bracket, I'm not about to fork over $100k for something that reminds me of a Catalina 25 with granite countertops.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts