SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

After dro, I mean getting rid of (...) one of my old portlight on my columbia29, I got a nice Lewmar opening light as an upgrade.

Here is my concern

1- the wall might be about one mm to thin (maybe). Can I just use any material as a spacer? I was thinking of cutting and gluing some sheet of plastic from Lowes or some acrylic.

2- The Lewmar portlight (size 0) that I got seem to be pinching with a smaller surface from the inside than my old window, should I be concerned by the concentrated force? The inner part of the wall is the headliner and is probably just made of resin and I expect that there will be some torsional stress on the frame area from the repeated opening/closing of the port.

Thanks!

Florent

·
Sailor
934 Posts
Yes, you should be concerned about applying too much pressure to the inner liner as it might crack. I would fill that space with plywood or other fitting material. Before installing the material, coat it with epoxie to avoid water problems later. If you need to build up the space due to the greater depth of your new port, you can use what ever material you think looks good and accepts glue or epoxie so it can be atteched to the liner.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts