SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Chesapeake Sailor
579 Posts
The state of California wants everyone to have a license before getting behing the wheel.
Yes- NJ has started a similar program. It requires all boaters in their waters to be licensed! It leaves undefined, what boaters from states not requiring licensing are to do. I spent a few hours this winter and got licenses from both Maryland and Virginia even though my "advanced years" exclude me from needing the licenses in my home waters.

I will edit this post with a link to the particulars from the SCCA Forum when their site comes back up from maintenance.

Wayne

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Since at least 1994 the State of Connecticut has required powerboat operators to pass a boating safety test in order to obtain a "Safe Boating Certificate" card. It is administered by the Department of Motor Vehicles, though sailing schools and the Power Squadron offer classes aimed at getting people to pass it. So far, sailboats with engines off don't require one. I guess they figure sailors know what they're doing already.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,707 Posts
Safeboater...I note that all of your posts have to do with boating safety. Do you have some sort of personal interest?
Maybe he is the Govenator and it is a ploy to charge for the licenses to help alleviate the states economic crises.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If California legalizes "mary jane" aka pot, aka weed, aka wacky tabbacy maybe they wouldn't have to try to raise more state revenue by taxing/licensing the so-called "rich" boaters. The aftermath would be the boating community may not get harrased as often by the Coast Guard on the boarder of Mexico, cause the importation of pot would not be as much. So it should be win/win/win. (State of California/boaters/smokers)
Don't look past what the licensing is. It's not a way of making sure that boaters are skilled and safe. It's just another taxation on the already struggling boating community.
I'm not a die hard legalize pot movement type but there is huge potential to raise state income just as Nevada has the much needed income that comes from gambling and the other legal shady profession in thaty state. Or they could stop restricting all the enviromental items and over-taxation that are running off and resticting all the huge tax paying \ buisnesses.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
cam i think safeboater might be somebody's alter ego. they dont want to spoil their normal screen name with safety posts. or just they wanted too

i could see smacky doing it, just so we all think he is still a bonehead, not a safety conscience person

edit i think safe boater is from cali, this post is about cali rules and a couple other of his/her posts also mention cali

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah that's fine but then everyone in the CA legislature should have to be "licensed" to run a state.

And now because they are down to handing out IOU's, they're harassing me, trying to get sales tax for my boat. I left CA this year, moved onto my boat in Washington. Boat has never been/will never go to California, somehow CA found out about the boat. I sent them my WA State registration documents to prove I wasn't responsible for CA taxes but that wasn't good enough apparently. Now they want receipts from boat operation and copies of logbook entries!? Bunch of clowns.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Safeboater...I note that all of your posts have to do with boating safety. Do you have some sort of personal interest?
FYI, Safeboater is affiliated with the "Boat Responsibly" campaign from the California Department of Boating and Waterways. .

A quick perusal of their website suggests they are mainly involved with educating powerboaters, houseboaters, and PWCs about VERY BASIC boating safety -- tailored for beginners primarily operating on inland waters, in my opinion.

I found little material that would be particularly helpful to sailors. In fact, their "Rules of the Road" page seems to do a disservice to sailors by oversimplifying the rules and thereby potentially giving novice operators of powered vessel the mistaken impression that they have no obligation to yield to vessels under sail under certain circumstances when they do.

Propagating that kind of incorrect and incomplete information can lead to serious accidents, which it would seem is contrary to the CDBW's mission and the overall gist of Safeboater's posts here on Sailnet. I have no problem with Safeboater posting here on Sailnet, but the sailors who visit this site should understand the perspective from which Safeboater's information is being delivered.

Yeah that's fine but then everyone in the CA legislature should have to be "licensed" to run a state.
:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't look past what the licensing is. It's not a way of making sure that boaters are skilled and safe. It's just another taxation on the already struggling boating community.
I live and boat in South Florida and yesterday, as I was dodging my way across Biscayne Bay, I was reminded about how much I support the idea of mandatory licensing for boat operators. It's not just the small skiffs or PWC's that worry me but the large sailboats and powerboats with owner operators on board who seem to have no idea of who has what right of way at any given time. I can try to navigate my own boat within the rules of the road but in the end, I just do my best to avoid everyone, which can be exhausting on a busy day.
Imagine what our roads and highways would be like if people didn't have proper training and testing to ensure that we all governed ourselves and our automobiles in a safe manner. I would never send my daughter out in the car if she or the other drivers didn't know the rules and were tested on that knowledge. What then is so different about our waterways?
So is a mandatory boaters license JUST another taxation? I pay more taxes or fees for the registration's of my boat and my cars than I do for my drivers license. I would support a mandatory boater's license in my state of Florida.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I doubt this is going to happen, but I hope it does. I sail on SoCal inland lakes, and the incompetence of the power boaters is absolutely amazing. It seems like 99% of the people on the water are unaware of sailboat right-of-way, and also think sailboats travel a lot slower than they do- so they constantly cut right across my bow. Jet Skis especially often pass just inches off my bow at really high speed, moving way too fast for me to do anything to avoid hitting them. Sometimes they circle around me closely for who knows what reason.

Some basic training in right-of-way might help the situation, but I don't know for sure. Maybe southern californians are just doomed to boat the same as they drive- as if they're running from the cops on meth.

·
2,448 Posts
Sadly the certification in NJ is a joke. Spend a weekend boating at the Jersey shore and you'll understand that a real license and real training is needed. If only there was a way to test for common sense...:(

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sean, as JimMcgee says its a joke in NJ. What do you think they installed a certification for in NJ if it does'nt require truely learning and then inforcing the rules and regulations. It surely sounds like a money grab to me.
I think as you said best that you try and just aviod everyone else and follow the rules and regulations the best you can. Besides that try to educate those that do not know any better. You may also try and take a less skilled boater out with you for daysails and they can get hands on education. If all responsible boaters would take a little hands on preventive aproach to this we could keep the government out of our way and be honest with yourself and think about how everything that the government sticks there fingers in they tend to make worse.
As its been said "If you will give up you fredom for security, you deserve neither".
Matt

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
I don't notice anyone from states that DO have licensing posting that their waters are safer than other states. Nor is there ANY evidence of a reduction in accidents or deaths compared to non-license states. We've been through this several times before here and opinions never change....it is like anchor threads! STOP THE MADNESS!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I do as Matt (irwin 325cc) suggests and teach on a one to one basis. I like to fish when I sail as in troll with a rod in a rod holder. I've taught many PWC operators the correct distance to maintain from my stern, one at a time. I've also held special training sessions for power boaters that fly a few yards off my stern. Their lesson is monofilament removal around the prop shaft and installing new lower unit seals. So many boaters, so little time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wayne and Matt are right, and as a U.S. Sailing sailing instructor I do my best to share my knowledge of seamanship and rules of the road with the people I sail with. Yes Wayne, there are so many boaters, so little time.
With that said though, just because the current program run by the state of New Jersey or any other state for that matter, is as you say "a joke", I still believe that it's a step in the right direction. Of course, if you can figure out a way to allow us all to self govern our actions on the water and keep from running each other over, than I am with you. Unfortunately, I have dealt with too many maritime accidents that could have been avoided if just one of the operators of a boat had received some sort of formal training. I don't want my day ruined on the water by some person who has more dollars than cents (sense) and roars down Biscayne Bay without a single consideration of the rules of the road.
I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death many times on these boards. I have learned by reading many of the responses throughout this forum that there is a lot of great and practical experience being shared but I believe that from time to time, topics that relate to safety and regulations deserve new arguments and new insights. Who knows, the newest member on SailNet may have an answer to all of these problems, right? Now whoever that is, please chime in.....

·
Registered
136 Posts
SeanConnett, I totally agree..
and to anyone that doesn't agree, get in a Jon boat and fish while a kid in daddy's 30ft fishing boat with twin 250's flys past 10ft away doing 40mph..

If you can't drive without a license, how can you drive a boat without a license..

I'm not talking SAT's here (although that would be nice)
I'm talking right of way, markers, hell - why not a once over on weather to give the coast guard a break..

Although one on one lessons might help, licensing would be a better idea..
The "money-grab" idea is laughable.. in SC my registration costs $30 for 3 YEARS.. I think it should be at least $30 per year.. after all that's what funds the DNR - my fishing license is $10 a year, and I'd gladly give them 20.. our states and counties are so underfunded and our resources are so overused it's crazy..

·
Registered
136 Posts
yep.. we'll shoot em in the head if they're not holding their license up while they're on the water.. J/K

The DNR is already in the water, enforcement would be easy, a sticker on the bow .. like the BIG BRIGHT RED 2012 sticker on my boats..random checks would net alot more $..

if you look younger than 16 and you're piloting a 32 Luhrs with little hammered girls on the back that dont know theres a prop down there--- it's worth a check.

mariners - especially sailors are a proud crowd.. I've been pulled over by the CG in my sailboat under motor power, and it's fine.. they're really great guys ! (as long as you're up to spec..) I go out of my way to make the CG and the DNR have an easier day !!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts