SailNet Community banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok, managed to get an old Oday 26 swim ladder off EBay for a song, $65 shipped (not bad since new was $300)...
All I did was position the ladder well out of the way of the rudder, and made sure it'll sit where it needs to... so I only put 2 holes in the transom to do this (pilots if you will)... but this is a longer range project, but here you can see how it should look in use..

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here's the best help anyone can find.. My buddy, he's a Dual Champion, and just the best dog... Gonna get him a life jacket for this summer, and take him with... He'll probably be nervous as heck (he's 10), but I just love him... Just a cool dog (we have his daughter and his son as 3 yos now)..

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Traveler has to come off... time for a big project...

Traveler off

Drill out (dremel tool reinforced cutoff wheel)... I drilled out the spot under the traveler, because if I found it OK, I'd have just injected wood restorer, and put it all back together....

Well guess what?
Nothing but wet.

Ok, so cut the hole, and bite the bullet...
UGH...

Ok, cleaned up and cleared out, and I pealed back the top layers (gelcoat, and fiberglass) to a section that is still good... so I can layup into good core. I KNEW this core was bad (thump thump thump, thud).. So this was a MUST fix. Now we dry it all out (let it stand for quite a while before we start the process to fix using laminating resin, end grain balsa, and new layup).

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If you look at the last picture you'll see some core still in place, and a big void... I'll be placing new core in (it's apparently 1/2" end grain balsa).. I'll be wetting out 2 sides, and getting the pre-scored sheets... and flexing out the sheets and wetting the edges of each square... I'll attempt to get pictures of all that.

My plan is to sand out the bottom of the gelcoat/fiberglass top layer, to thin it out some... so I can lay a couple layers of glass on top of the new core. I have to order some color matched gelcoat as well, but we have quite a while before we get there.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
If I were smart I'd have done 1 thread in cyberspace on this... unfortunately I am not smart.
New toys (its what keeps me going on the mundane projects)... Hope you can see it through Mr. Fuzzycam. Simrad IS20 Combi/Wind

Oooh shiny things...

I removed the SUUNTO compass (the plastic was all crazed, and becoming unreadable, shame it was a nice compass).

I also removed the Standard Horizon Depth/Speed/Temp... the 2 units were different shapes... these are the gaping holes I'm left to deal with.

Here I am making a budget template to space/fit 2 square pegs in a larger square hole and a smaller round one. Yep, I failed geometry... and spacial skills too.. but I think I accomplished my goal. The 2 screws on the edge were pre-existing holes... trying hard not to make any more holes than necessary.

Here is a further back view, obviously the hatchway is not vertical, so this is about as close to vertical spacing for the electronics I could come up with...

By the way that barely covers the holes! Yeah they were that big... and those electronics aren't small! My long term goal is to add an electronic compass via simnet, and get an IS 20 compass and tack display (perhaps next year), and place them on the port side to match this.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've cut out plywood copies of the cardboard template now... my goal is to get the shape/size perfect, then use the plywood as a template for starboard.

PS: The only math course I failed was Calculus 1 in college... which I then proceeded on to pass 1 and 2, then Differential Equations, then Multivariable Calculus. What I didn't do well in was shop class :p

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
By the wan continuing on the above port cockpit seat repair... I got my core end grain balsa 1/2"... This stuff is neat. Now I understand how they built a light boat. Ok so the first round of the stuff lasted 30 years, maybe I can get 15 out of this? who knows.

Here is one piece cut and ready to go in, with the base prepped with acetone (and then I waited for it to evap)... then I buttered the base with laminating resin... I am not saying any of this is right, but so far it "looks" right.

This balsa core stuff is neat, has a fiberglass back to it, and is in little squares... I read that you are supposed to lay resin on each edge of the block, so flex it butter each edge, then flex it back... so I did....

here you see the both buttered piece of core in place and wetted in... Note, the seats are not flat, there is a slight concave to them for comfort.

Again I am not sure if any of this is right, but I'm moving forward anyway... I have some chopped strand mat, I'm going to lay down over this in 1 or 2 layers... but first I am going to use some resin/epoxy/filler to fill in any gaps in any of this... then lay in the matt to tie it all together... I'll build up layers until I get the right thickness, then put down gelcoat as a last step. Cross your fingers I get all this right.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I filled in the gaps... a friend convinced me to lay this up complete, and I agree (now)... no other way it would seem. So I used an epoxy/filler I had... and filled/shaped it out like it was before... I have chopped strand mat ready to start the layup... Anyway, here is what I have now... I'm going to sand it all out to smooth it then start building the layup...

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Filling holes in one area, and making others in another... Here goes my access ports...

Holes cut...

The purpose of these is to provide access to the motor mount, and also access to the backing of the ladder. My "plan" is once I've worked on those two items that I'll use the "plate" to mount some very small speakers for a stereo. I'm going to buy 2 spare plates so that I can pop in plates if the speakers give me grief.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Beckson deck plates installed... I'll clean up the black marks left from the sabre saw later... cockpit got dirty by all this, so I've since vacuumed all this garbage up.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've installed my new hatch slides... A friend from our sail club has a machine shop, and also has an S2 7.9. He's also the guy to beat in our club! But regardless he made an extra set of hatch slides (and also duralin gudgeon bushing or 2)... When I need them he also manufactured a few rudder cheek plates, but anyway, today I just got hatch slides... mine were destroyed after 32 years of use. These look great..

Here is a complete shot.
I've also added a wood block to the lock plate, to make the lock/hatch mate more proper. So this is a complete top part... I have to get crib board keepers yet (just ordered the starboard for it).. but I'm happy with the hatch.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I was busy tonight.. my pre-cut to size starboard came in some black pieces, and some white... Here's the result...

and

Completed hatch and crib holders...

here is my Simrad IS20 stuff installed with my new white starboard.

covers off...

All the work together..

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

new Dr. LEDs installed 31mm LED festoon lights for running lights all the way around.

Also installed LED white lights for all the fixtures below, into the original fixtures. No pictures...

Next projects are the swim ladder install, VHF with DSC install (using NMEA 0183 for postion to send to the tiller pilot).. Tiller pilot install along with Simnet connections for all the electronics (less pretty work)... and making the tiller pilot, depth, speed, wind, GPS, all talk. That should be entertaining. I also have to replace the coax to the masthead with RG113, as well as run the transducer cable for the wind speed/direction... FUN FUN!!!

Somewhere in here I have to remove the mast and get it to ground level to install all this as well as replace all the halyards.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Where was I last... Oh yeah, 1 layer of chopped strand installed and sanded...

Ladder backer created.. and sized, and yes I can fit it into the transom.

Backer installed, lacquered, bolts are 2.5" stainless, holes drilled were overdrilled and filled with epoxy. Bedding compound used was 4200.. hope that'll work.

Poof swim ladder installed... 1/4" bolts should hold nicely and yes it holds my rather large keester nicely. That ladder was a bargain on Ebay... I think $60 shipped.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Oh yeah, the S2 is odd, the pintles are on the transom, gudgeons are on the rudder. There are the bushings old in the middle, new are bookends...

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ok, no boat of mine is complete without some tunes.
Cut a hole...

from the back

Original wiring looked pretty good, except the instrument power, which has now been replaced with 14 gauge.. I added in another ground, a direct to battery backup (with fuse) to yellow memory backup, and new lead to the accessories switch... I created a Y for adding the instrument cluster as well, that'll be the stereo and instrument cluster on the 10amp fuse (should be sufficient)...

My idea is to create a chair rail (with cushion) just below this to protect the face, but I've found the location to be ideal to use the remote control for the unit from the cockpit... I sail solo a lot so this is ideal.

Earlier you'll remember I installed beckson ports where the swim ladder was and also where the motor mount was... Now I've removed the beckson plates (6") and installed 4" kicker speakers (2 Way)... I drilled them, sealed them with 3M 4200, and screwed them back into place. I used CAT5e cable to run my speaker wire (1 wire to run).. used orange for right positive green right negative, etc..
Here's the back of the mounted speaker. I did this so that if I sell the boat in the future someone can easily replace theses plates with flat plates..

here's the result of the mounted speaker...
Finished product...

Sound quality is quite good.. loud enough, clear enough and has a decent amount of bass because the lazarettes are open across the bottom of the boat.... speakers shoot INTO the cabin too, so the sound is decent even below. Worked out better than I expected.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
More pictures to the thread nobody ever looks at! hehehe... whatever, in for a penny...
VHF installed, and has power now...

SIMNET is also powered.

Mast is now off the boat... that's a multi-purpose thing... One, to paint the mast (it was already painted once)... 2 to install all new halyards.. and 3 to run the simnet cable up it, as well, and mount the wind transducer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
"More pictures to the thread nobody ever looks at! hehehe... whatever, in for a penny..."
Hey Shnool, don't be so sure of that. Nice work.
Nice find on the O'day ladder. I've been looking for a 5 step ladder for my O'day 25 for a while. Just found one on Amazon.
Keep the pics coming!

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Thanks Ward... yeah, Ebay is one of those places you should check periodically you'll never know what you'll find... I was VERY happy with my find.. I missed my swim ladder on my last boat (had a nice one on my Capri 22, but my 25's transom was consumed by my motor mount in the center).

I did a bunch more work yesterday, sadly much was not really picture worthy as it was wiring and such, but I was quite happy to report a few things..
My NEW triducer (speed, depth, temp), is a drop-in to my old Standard Horizon knot meter through-hull. I mean threads and everything match. It is also nice and flush...
Ignore the bottom, its on my list (its actually VC17m, just needs burnished and a few coats):

I think that fit is pretty stellar fit. You'll note that there is a roller right up against that spot so I pulled the triducer out, and placed the "plug" in... until she splashes.

This might be a better representation of what else I did... I plugged in both transducers, wind, and triducer.... and tested them manually...

Hard to see, but I aligned and mounted the wind transducer (no I didn't run the wire, that's gonna be in conjunction with halyards and fixing some other stuff)...
turned out nice and straight.

This is the location I came up with for my tiller pilot... I struggled with this, because I really wanted to locate the TP to the seat, but I'd need the largest drop for the tiller (which I have), but then a 3" pedestal for the cup.. which of course would screw up using the lazarette lid... So not really a good plan. So take 2 says put it up on the combing, and get a 7 inch extension (ugh). So I used a crib board to lay the tiller pilot flat... and align things.

The hole needed for the receptacle was HUGE. Also an odd size. 1 1/4" which I didnt' have so I ran to the local hardware store to get a bit... drilled it out... The reason for the big hole? The tiller pilot requires dedicated power (10amp fused), and has connections for SIMNET, and also for NMEA 0183... so a bunch of wires. It also has a 6-8 foot simnet dedicated cable attached.

This is it mounted but not wired up yet... I have to remove the socket, and resin it all up to protect the core.

The butt end of the tiller pilot has a 1/2" pin, that drops into a brass cup. I drilled that through the combing, and that layup is stupid thick there, has core and all, probably every bit of 3/4" thick there. It too will require me to overgrind out the hole and resin it up to protect the core...

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I have appeared to have neglected my own thread here...
Some more electrical stuff done now, actually I am all done...

Last layers of fiberglass mat down...

The brush I used had some VC17m in it, and it added color to the resin, but despite that the glassing is finished.

Here is the "visible" wiring to the Simrad instruments, VHF power, coax, power, and NMEA 0183 for GPS to the tiller pilot.

Here is the clean up of the tiller pilot socket as well as the 12V aux socket (side by side).
The yellow loop is the inline fuse for the tiller pilot.

I posted this elsewhere on here, but this is my tiller pilot test... after installing the 5 inch extension, and a 1", the throw is just over the cockpit seat on port and also on starboard, so about perfect.

I've since cleaned up this socket (had 4200 all over it)... Yep I got sloppy.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts