SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a new cruising main for my Alberg 30 from North Sails. their quotes were very reasonable. I have a question about the material they quoted me. They recommended their best material to be Premium NorDac and was about $400 more than their 4800 Nordac sail quote. The question is...Is the premium material worth the extra cost? I am guessing that my current main(made by north) is about 15yrs old. it is still in usable condition but I would feel better with a new one. Is 4800 a newer material than my current main and if so why buy the premium if the current has lasted this long. What are your thoughts?

·
11,857 Posts
Check out Quantum sails...I found them to be more resonable than North for similar quality and they have great customer service. I just purchased a new full battened main from them this year

Dave

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Here's some information on North sail materials.

Products

If you do a little reading on that site, you see that the highest performance material (radian) is for triradial sails, not crosscut sails. A crosscut sail would seem to make the most sense for an Alberg 30. That difference in price for different material in a dacron sail doesn't make sense. Assume the quote is from a local North loft. Have you gotten a quote from North Sails Direct? Worth it for comparison purposes. They will also answer questions about the different cloth options.

·
Administrator
9,010 Posts
I would strongly second the recommendation to talk to Quantum. I had been a North customer and switched to Quantum after getting the cold North shoulder one too many times. The difference in the attention to detail, workmanship, and customer service is glaring, and Quantum cleaned North's clock on price.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
A lot of lofts are run as franchise operations. Find out which have the best reputations for service and straight advice in your location. I agree though. Nordac seems kind of silly for an Alberg 30. We bought a North tri-radial #3. The rep mentioned 3Di... I laughed and said no thanks, the paneled sail would be fine. They did a nice job for us after we were clear that there were limits. :)
Always get quotes from everyone.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate everyones input and i have requested a quote from Quantum. However I am still wondering if anyone has any knowledge and real life experience with the 2 different North dacron materials, Premium vs 4800? durability, longevity....etc etc

Thanks SN

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I appreciate everyones input and i have requested a quote from Quantum. However I am still wondering if anyone has any knowledge and real life experience with the 2 different North dacron materials, Premium vs 4800? durability, longevity....etc etc

Thanks SN
I bought a main for my previous boat from North online over ten year ago. It was made with their 4800 material. It was still going great when I sold the boat two years ago. Nice sail.

The $400 difference still has me puzzled. Are you sure it wasn't Norlam that was quoted for the second sail.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JimsCAL, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I have attached a small section from the email he sent with the quotes.....

"Attached please find 2 different quotes. These are our best, most durable offshore Dacron sails. The Premium NorDac is the tightest woven Dacron available. It will hold it's shape much longer than any other. The 4800 series is a very good fabric, just a little looser weave and less expensive to make."

As you can see they describe what seems to be 2 diffent types of Dacron the premium was 7.7oz where the 4800 was 7oz in the quotes.

I am prolly going to use North as I have not heard anything from Quantum yet and I am ready to buy. They were quick to respond and have answered all my questions promtly. I would like to have the sail buy the last week in Sept. its whats on the boat and seems to have last quite some time. The local North guy has a great reputation around here as well. I was just trying to get a feel for the diiference in material. If the premium would last an extra 4 years I would say it was well woth the extra money...

Thanks SN

1 - 9 of 9 Posts