SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Sailors

I need some counseling and advice before I lose my temper and hope that all you wise and sage sailors will be able to settle me down a bit. Here's the problem

I needed to buy a new mainsail for my CAL 28 this year and tapped a sail loft in a city about 2 hours away to do it for me. I had had a bad experience with them when I bought my new headsail about 5 years ago, ( they did not complete the order as written up and their only comment was..."oh so sorry, it really won't make any difference in the way the sail performs". "If you want us to make the change, it will take "x" more weeks and cost "x" more money"

Nevertheless, because they are the only game in this part of the state, I decided to try again. This time I decided to work very closely with them to assure no hassles, communicated by email, not phone, kept records etc. I asked if someone would come down to take measurements to make sure there were no mistakes, but they declined and said they knew exactly what they were doing as they had just made a similar sail earlier in the year and had no questions. Just to be on the safe side, I took them my old sail to use as a template, so there would be no question as to what the dimensions were for this older boat

Would you believe that when the sail came it didn't fit!!! I'm attaching a picture so you can see the problem.

The company representative is now telling me that it's not a problem with the sail. He maintains the huge gap at the foot is because it's not hauled up completely and so now he wants to sell me a new halyard! When we asked him if he'd come and install the halyard, and be present in case that didn't solve the problem, he said "oh no, we don't do rigging, you just buy it from us and we'll give you a good deal"

( There was no offer to come and look at the sail and my current set up, no concerns about the fact that I had spent over $1600 and have a faulty sail that does not fit my boat)

So here's my question, if my current halyard ran my old sail up far enough so that it didn't leave a huge gap above the tack and last slug, why isn't is good enough to run my new sail up?

Am I being hasty in believing that I'm getting another load of manure from this company?

And, if I do have to install a new halyard, how much is that going to cost and what kind of hassles am I likely to encounter in doing that?

All I want to do is sail.....is that too much to ask?

Sailin' Gal

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, couldn't figure out how to attach a picture. Suffice to say that there is a huge gap between where the sail attaches at the tack that goes about three feet up to where the first slug is placed. Lots of daylight through there!

My reef lines are all slacked, my halyard is as taught as it can get and positioned nearly to the top of the mast, just as it always has been for the last 15 years. I can see no reason why this new sail has such a gap when my old one ( stretched as it was) did not.

Any ideas?

·
Senior Moment
598 Posts
I hope you paid by credit card. If so, you might return the sail, and contest charges with card company. You will need 10 posts here before you can post pics I think. You might try racking up some more posts over in off topic on the song chain thread.

michael

·
Registered
80 Posts
Three things

1. Time to lose your temper.

2. Borrow the wheel barrow

3. Fool me once, shame on you...

I'm in the market for a new sail as well. :eek:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Without a picture.....

it is nearly impossible to understand what could be the issue.

DrB

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi Sailors

I need some counseling and advice before I lose my temper and hope that all you wise and sage sailors will be able to settle me down a bit. Here's the problem

I needed to buy a new mainsail for my CAL 28 this year and tapped a sail loft in a city about 2 hours away to do it for me. I had had a bad experience with them when I bought my new headsail about 5 years ago, ( they did not complete the order as written up and their only comment was..."oh so sorry, it really won't make any difference in the way the sail performs". "If you want us to make the change, it will take "x" more weeks and cost "x" more money"
"You should never have given them your business again"

Would you believe that when the sail came it didn't fit!!! I'm attaching a picture so you can see the problem.

The company representative is now telling me that it's not a problem with the sail. He maintains the huge gap at the foot is because it's not hauled up completely "He could be right"and so now he wants to sell me a new halyard! "new halyard indicates he thinks you are an idiot" When we asked him if he'd come and install the halyard, and be present in case that didn't solve the problem, he said "oh no, we don't do rigging, you just buy it from us and we'll give you a good deal"
"No deal is good if it doesn't work"

So here's my question, if my current halyard ran my old sail up far enough so that it didn't leave a huge gap above the tack and last slug, why isn't is good enough to run my new sail up? "It is good enough"

Am I being hasty in believing that I'm getting another load of manure from this company?
"Could be a half load of manure at least the new halyard part is"
And, if I do have to install a new halyard, how much is that going to cost and what kind of hassles am I likely to encounter in doing that?
"The hassle of more money, travel and effort for no good reason"
All I want to do is sail.....is that too much to ask?

Sailin' Gal
I cannot see how a new halyard is going to hoist the sail any higher than your old one did or does, it is simply not logical, a line is a line and one line newer is not going to hoist the sail any higher than the old line.
Now that said, I had a similar problem with my new sail, there was a gap between the tack and first slug that created excess belly in my sail, nice for light winds but I could see with a pair of binnoculars that there was still several inches at the top of the mast to hoist it higher but it seemed to be sticking when I pulled on the halyard led aft. So, after a few sails it bothered me enough to start figuring it out. My first idea was to see if I could just go up to the mast and pull it taut standing on the deck. Well once we got the boat headed directly into the wind to release the pressure I was able to pull the halyard at the mast and finish hoisting the sail those last few inches. It seems my halyard has a tendency to bind a bit going through all the pulleys to be led aft, so I now wrap it a couple times around the winch which is directly behind the halyard clutch, then use the winch and handle to get the last few inches and still it is hard so I also have to go forward to the mast and pull down on the halyard while my wife pulls it through the clutch. So much for my stupid halyards aft setup, doesn't quite cut it.
Anyway try hoisting the new sail while docked when there is absolutely no wind and hoist it from the mast to see if you can get the last remaining few inches hoisted. Your old halyard can do this just fine, but try it from standing at the mast where it can be pulled more easily, it might just go all the way up like mine did.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
to post pics you need 5 posts

then use photobucket or flicker to host them then use the insert imagine icon, it looks like a box with a mountian in it, right next to the link symbol.

as for what to do, if you used a credit card call them and tell them they have 48 hours to come look with you present or you fight the charges on your card.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you provided a template and specified the finished size was to match the template and it does not and you have already paid and they refuse a refund or fix I would advise them that they will be seeing you in small claims court. In some states you can bring a suit to the amount of $5,000. Chances are when the get the notice to appear from the court they will make it right.

·
Señor Member
1,457 Posts
First, condolences on your trials so far. I guess the sail loft knows they are not fending off competitors just to stay alive and thus customer service isn't their first priority. Always a shame when that happens.

I agree, it makes no sense that you would need a new halyard to solve the problem.

Just a thought -- have you checked the slugs (assuming they are fitted) to see if the new sail has the same sized ones placed in the same locations as on the old mainsail? It could be that they are binding in the track.

Best of luck on resolving this one to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Are you saying that there is a gap between the lower portion of the main luff and the mast ? If so then they have used the wrong "kick back". That is the measured distance back from the mast that the tack ring should be.

Post some more and then post a picture.

Good Luck

Gary

·
Registered
967 Posts
Do you have your old sail still? If, so, put the old sail on the ground (outside grass, school gym floor, other larger area floor area) and lay the new sail on top of it. If it isn't pretty damn close in dimensions, your new sail is wrong. If it is wrong, take several photos of the areas that are off and measure the differences. Then go to your sail guy and show him.

If the sail is pretty damn close on the three key dimensions, something on your rig is messed up during the hoist.

DrB

·
Registered
407 Posts
Stop dealing with that loft. Tell them why (2 bad purchase experiences). Then call Lee, Doyle or Sailrite. These companies will make sure you are taken care of.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with DrB compare the new sail to the old. Also if they made it from dimensions they had on file it may be taller, have you tried pulling the boom down lower if that is possible.

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Your sail was cut wrong.

I am dealing w a similar situation. I ordered a sail according to directions given on a website. They specified to 'not' underestimate, that they know what to do for a correct fit. Well it did not fit and they are implying that I gave them the wrong measurements! I gave them pictures and extra spec...track size, top of mast to boomb etc. I hired a local sailmaker, whom I will reccomend and use from now on. He fixed it! It cost $600! I am now 'hoping' the sailmaker who will be named otherwise, will split the cost. I will let you know how it goes. But reach out and use someone else next time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts