SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Salty Dog
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there have a Snowbird?

These neat litlle boats were built by WD Schock in the late 50's we had one that was destroyed in surf by a room mate while the old sail was aboard.

I had built a new sail while working at Hobie many years ago, it has never been used if someone is interested.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Want to build a Snowbird (1932 12' Olympic Monotype)

Anybody out there have a Snowbird?

These neat litlle boats were built by WD Schock in the late 50's we had one that was destroyed in surf by a room mate while the old sail was aboard.

I had built a new sail while working at Hobie many years ago, it has never been used if someone is interested.
Yes, I sailed Snowbirds beginning in 1958 and probably continued throught 1962. My Sister and I had Jr. memberships at BYC in 1958. I bought my Snowbird in 1959 for about $275.00 including sand dolly. After I refinished it total (at the age of about 13 years) it was a really beautiful little boat. About a year and a half ago I decided I wanted to build a Snowbird. I have been able to obtain a set of plans. In a salvage yard on Newport Peninsula I was able to buy the hull of one of the 28 or so fiberglass Snowbirds that W.D. Schock built in the late fifites/early sixties. I hope to begin building my boat within the next year. I am considering an wood/epoxy composit strip construction and a possible combination of this with plywood.

I am interested in the sail. Is the number on it "275". How much do you want for it?

-- Peter H.

·
Salty Dog
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me get the sail out today and check it out, it has been stored in small drum with sealed lid for many years.

I'll take some photos as well.

It was used only once, I made it from 3.5 oz. dacron and basically duplicated the original sail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts