SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New solar install battery selection

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  travlin-easy 
I use 4 T-105s as a house battery setup, keep them charged with a 100-watt Grape solar panel I purchased from Home Depot. It is mounted on the stern rail using Bimini fittings and a couple short lengths of 3/4-inch stainless tubing. I run my fridge on the batteries 25/7 while cruising and there's always enough sunlight to recharge the batteries during a normal day. On rare occasions, I'll have to fire up the A4 and top off the batteries, which with a 100 amp alternator, doesn't take very long.

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

There is no grounding to the frame of the solar panel. If it were, I would have experienced one hell of a short circuit with a positive ground. Just two wires coming out of the panel, which I connected to an inexpensive regulator ($39). The batteries are rigged in a series parallel connection, which makes it a 12-volt DC system. All four batteries get charged at the same rate at the same time. Never had a problem with this setup.

Gary :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.