SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Administrator
Beneteau 393
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We we just blew US$1,200 on a new stove and the stainless grid is discoloured after the first use. Wifey not happy 馃槺馃槺馃槺

I know it won't clean off but is there something that can protect 'stainless' steel from staining?

It's a little discouraging as it was a difficult job installing.

Hood Automotive lighting Textile Wood Automotive design

Hood Wood Window Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Thanks for ideas / thoughts etc.

Mark

SailNet Captain of the Month
Reaction score
That's normal and nothing you can permanently prevent. It is the chromium reacting with oxygen under heat. It is removable with vinegar or any SS cleaning polish, but it will come back again. It isn't an indication of cheap SS, bad design, or poor user technique.

It is definitely worse the first couple of times you use it because it has been factory polished to leave the chromium all on the surface.

Your choices are to live with it, regularly polish/remove it as it occurs, or stop using the stove.

Mark

Registered
Legend 37.5
Reaction score
Short answer: If You Have Rainbow Stains on Your Pots and Pans, This Is What It Means

Long answer: as you know, there are different types of stainless with different components, and there are varying degrees of stainless. Some may discolor like that permanently; some rust. I have no idea which yours is. I've heated stainless cherry red, and when it cooled it looked no different; this of course is a high grade stainless and very expensive. Chinese stainless tends to be cheap and low grade, so can permanently discolor.

SailNet Captain of the Month
Reaction score
The quality or origin of stainless doesn't matter in this case. This is an inherent chemical reaction, not a metallurgic or quality issue. ALL 300 series stainless will discolor like in the pictures with relatively mild heat in an oxidative environment.

Mark

Registered
Legend 37.5
Reaction score
Just fyi here鈥檚 a layman鈥檚 overview of types of stainless. There are more detailed descriptions but they tend to be application specific or focused on welding. https://www.reliance-foundry.com/blog/304-vs-316-stainless-steel

If Mark wanted to replace his, which I assume have welded mounting tabs and aren鈥檛 just rod, then one also must consider the weld material. AND how it鈥檚 welded. It鈥檚 beyond my ability to TIG stainless but I have a friend who does it.

Administrator
Beneteau 393
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just fyi here鈥檚 a layman鈥檚 overview of types of stainless. There are more detailed descriptions but they tend to be application specific or focused on welding. https://www.reliance-foundry.com/blog/304-vs-316-stainless-steel

If Mark wanted to replace his, which I assume have welded mounting tabs and aren鈥檛 just rod, then one also must consider the weld material. AND how it鈥檚 welded. It鈥檚 beyond my ability to TIG stainless but I have a friend who does it.
This page on that site is a ripper... All about cleaning it.

Thanks for the lead. 馃槉馃槉

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts