SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new propane tank for my ketch. Same size and manufacturer as the old one, which was from '92. The new one has an OPD valve, left threaded inside same as the old. But I think the new valve also has a spring valve inside it. So, will the old stove hose work? It screws inside the valve, not outside like the barbeque. Some of you must have been through it, any problems?

·
Registered
286 Posts
As long as it mounts to the new tank, no problem. All propane tanks now must be equipped with the OPD safety valve. Everything else is the same.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Take the opportunity to replace your hose. They do die over time due to ozone exposure. I had a fitting let go on a lit BBQ at the cottage while I was watching it. The problem was the hose surface had cracked at the fitting and flexing the hose at the fitting cut the inner layers. I had flames a good 2' out from the fitting before I shut off the tank.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Be aware that copper pipe for propane lines can be a danger on boats. The copper can work harden if it isn't well supported, and then fail fairly suddenly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts