SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Administrator
Beneteau 393
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Tesla AI Day yesterday introduced their robot Optimus.
It showed its battery pack held in its torso as the blue rectangle. The robot Wi be able to "work" for a full "day" before recharging.

Does this appear to be an advance in battery tech?

Light Sleeve Font Toy Screenshot

2.5 kWh at 52 volts. What is that at 12 volts?

BTW all I need is a robot to get a beer from the fridge and bring it to me 馃嵒
Does it really need a bunch of the world's best physicists and software dudes??

Mark

Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
Reaction score
It sounds like all you need is a small mobile refrigerator that will automatically follow you wherever you go. It will need to climb companiionway ladders and recharge in the sun when you are on deck.

Registered
Reaction score
The Tesla AI Day yesterday introduced their robot Optimus.
It showed its battery pack held in its torso as the blue rectangle. The robot Wi be able to "work" for a full "day" before recharging.

Does this appear to be an advance in battery tech?

View attachment 144936

2.5 kWh at 52 volts. What is that at 12 volts?

BTW all I need is a robot to get a beer from the fridge and bring it to me

Mark
KwH is not voltage specific. 2.5kwH @12v will give you 208 ah or 48ah at 52v.

That doesn't seem to be a lot of power to run multiple servo motors, sensors and an computer all day, but I know nothing about robotics...

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Master Mariner
Reaction score
As voltage is a measure of the pressure that allows electrons to flow, while amperage is a measure of the volume of electrons.
52 volts seems an odd number, but perhaps that is part of the innovation or a way to keep it proprietary. 52 volts is roughly 4 times as much as 12 volts, so you would get roughly 4 times the power (watts).

Freedom isn't free
Reaction score
If I may, you'd be much better off training a dog to fetch a beer. I had a friend with a Golden. He had to store his beer on the bottom shelf (which is good cause that's the coldest part of the fridge), and keep a towel on the handle, so he could pull it and open the door. He also did better with longnecks then cans... sometimes the cans leaked a bit. Still it was a darned impressive trick to have the golden retrieve it for guests. Of course the smart dog got a taste :)

However, I'm still of the opinion, you'd get more mileage out of the dog than stupid robot that will literally spy on you every minute of every day.

Registered
Reaction score
As voltage is a measure of the pressure that allows electrons to flow, while amperage is a measure of the volume of electrons.
52 volts seems an odd number, but perhaps that is part of the innovation or a way to keep it proprietary. 52 volts is roughly 4 times as much as 12 volts, so you would get roughly 4 times the power (watts).
Watts is a measure of power, watt/hours is the amount of work that can be done. 2.5kw is 2.5kw whether it is 5v or 500v. Voltage does not determine how much work can be done, it just determines how fast that work can be done.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Reaction score
2500 wh is 2500 wh at 12 volts or 52. It would be roughly equivalent to buying a couple (2) 100 ah 12 volt Lithium trolling motor batteries from Cabellas or Westmarine.

Not revolutionary at all. Unless you are still running a lead acid set up on your 1990s bass boat.

Registered
Reaction score

Mark

Yes. Having done a lot of basic lower end motion control in a previous job (when I worked for a living), I think you'd be blown away by the engineering, calculations, and thousands of lines of code necessary to bring you that beer. 馃槻

Registered
Reaction score
If I may, you'd be much better off training a dog to fetch a beer. I had a friend with a Golden. He had to store his beer on the bottom shelf (which is good cause that's the coldest part of the fridge), and keep a towel on the handle, so he could pull it and open the door. He also did better with longnecks then cans... sometimes the cans leaked a bit. Still it was a darned impressive trick to have the golden retrieve it for guests. Of course the smart dog got a taste :)

However, I'm still of the opinion, you'd get more mileage out of the dog than stupid robot that will literally spy on you every minute of every day.
Our dogs watch us every minute too. They wouldn鈥檛 want to miss us going into the kitchen. I don鈥檛 think they鈥檙e reporting to Elon tho.

Freedom isn't free
Reaction score
We have a 15yo Brittany, that can't hear very well, can't really see as good as she should, and frankly doesn't stand well either. That crazy dog can hear you open a chip bag from 100 yards away though! Filling her food bowl, she'll be on you faster than you can put it down.

We don't need robots, we just need more dogs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts