SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I just moved into an apartment that is a short distance from a public boat slip on the DE River. We really like the idea of getting a small boat to cruise around on, but don't have a vehicle with towing capability, which is why I've been looking a lot at inflatable dinghies.

Basically, I'm looking for a boat that is portable - something that we can deflate and fit into a small car. But of course, it would be a great bonus if the boat could really get moving. I was thinking that I would be purchasing an outboard motor, something between 4 and 10 hp.

Because of the need for portability, it seems like my choices are narrowed to an air floor or a slatted floor - I've been looking closely at the "Zodiac Wave Slat Rollup Floor", and also at the "Bombard by Zodiac Air Floor" (Something around 9 or 10').

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the pros and cons of each type of boat (slat vs air), or even if anyone had other types of suggestions that they think might suit us better. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a ton for the replies -

Dog8It - I've seen/heard of the porta-botes, but they seem a little bit sketchy. The fact that they won't give you prices unless you request them/fill out a lot of info seems sort of rotten. Do you have any more info on these? My hope is to buy a motor and boat combined and keep the cost around 2k or less (maybe around 1000 for the motor, 1000 for the boat), so I have no idea if this would fit into my budget or not.

Mitch - I really like the comfort aspect that you you've brought up. I could see an air-filled floor being nice for floating around on. The main reason I was also looking at slat floor is the concern of punctures - have you had any problems with this?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.