SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I am considering relocating to New Orleans and am curious what the sailing season is like there? I'm a Chicago native, so very short season here on Lake Michigan, in the water in May, out by October. Weather can be anything at any time, and of course cold except for about 3 weeks in July/August.

What do folks on the Gulf coast do during hurricane season? If the boat is in a marina what do you have to do if a named storm is forecast to come your way? Is there also a typical haul-out season where everyone tends to do their work and keep the boats out of the water? What time of year do you do most of your sailing? Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Almost everyone here leaves them in all year, except for smaller J-22-type
dry sailing at the two yacht clubs. It's true year- round sailing, lucky us. Summer is hot, mostly we sail (and race, beer can handicap Wed eve, OD Fri eve)in the evenings then, and don't have the bigger regattas then. Fall and spring are great, winter pretty brief and sailable in between cold fronts.

Hurricane season? Just pray and if it's coming nevertheless, try to get a haul out, or put out a skadillion extra mooring lines and "leave it to God, and your insurance company" as I've heard it said.

And welcome, good to have another sailor here, you'll have lots of company. All the sailing is on Lake Pontchartrain except when you head over to the Miss/Al/Fl coast where there's the "******* Riviera" but also some beautiful barrier islands just offshore.

Try it, I think you'll like it.

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Agree with NOLAtom mostly, only thing I'd say is that summer is a little sketch for sailing as the heat pretty much keeps the wind to a minimum, evenings sometimes get some breeze from the surrounding land. Other than that, it's a nice place to be, and your not too far from offshore if that is your cup of gumbo. And traveling across the lake is a nice day trip. Fishing is great too if your into that as well.

Welcome to NOLA!

- Ronnie...on the geaux

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.