SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is kristian we just purchased our first sail boat 2 weeks ago it is a 73 25' American mariner having to do new wiring in boat wood working & and cushions all around some fiberglass work . have had the boat out once since buying it and the family loves it just have to make it ours now .
we are also divers so I have to figure out the rear entry to be more suited to handle the weight of us plus all gear and ease of entry and exit of the boat.
looking to learn as much as I can from this forum and any 2cents from y'all will be greatly appreciated
thanks in advance
Kristian

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi - Welcome .... to your new labor of LOVE !!!!

Don't know anything about diving... a little about sailing :D !!!

But this is the place if you have questions or just good conversation!

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
I am not real good at diving or sailing But not afraid to speak. One thing is you might want to keep one or more Persons aboard when you dive. Chasing down a boat is not fun. It was not my best moment but I will tell you it is no fun. Next I am sure you had to take off your gear and put it back on. You may have even switched gear with your dive buddy. This skill may help and be handy. Next It is not fun to chase things that float away from the boat. If it sinks well you get the idea. In the past with a water ski it is hard to imagine how fast a ski can start to get away on a calm flat day no fun to chase a ski. I will only hand them out one at a time to most folks. Sailboats always have extra line.
You may find it a better option to put your BCD tanks and fins on and take them off in the water. You will be able to climb on and off better. At least your fins ? Some fins sink kind of fast and are very negative. :eek: That extra person now has a job. We all feel better when we have jobs.
Now that I filled you in on some of the stuff that is not fun You will get to go have a good time. I am sure you will find a great location with the best weather. Live It!
It is snowing and the temp outside my window is going to be - 7 before long So this summer is much anticipated.
Kind Regards, Lou

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
"we are also divers so I have to figure out the rear entry to be more suited to "
Then you should know the rear of the boat is the second worst possible place to enter it. (The worst being the bow.)

The "proper" place to enter a boat from the water is midships, were the boat is pitching up and down the least and things are most stable. You want to look into a detachable or extendable ladder that is attached to the lifelines or deck next to the shrouds, and board from there.

Take the light stuff up with you, but if there's no one aboard to haul the tanks up, leave them in the water, clipped onto a line. Then haul them aboard after you're on the boat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the greetings and advice .
I live in new port richey just north of Clearwater west of Tampa.
Been diving off a pontoon boat for while very challenging with a older boat and only a bow ladder .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts