SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am 54 and partner 57. In 2019 or 2020 we want to retire early and sail we think for 5-7 years. We currently live in Holland, and want to sail in the Med when we retire. We have very limited sailing experience at this point. We have enough saved up that we can purchase the boat, do lessons, cover expenses of boat etc.
The original plan was to wait until a year prior to leaving and buy the boat, really focus on the sailing and then leave. The years prior take some more time with vacations sailing with friends, skipper, etc.
We want to buy a 40-43ft boat that is about 4-6 years old. So now the questions...

What is a good option to start with? I feel getting into lessons now, reading, and doing. Make sure we both are enjoying this. ?

The question comes as to when to buy the boat ? It would cost us more to have it sooner of course, but then we could enjoy and learn more as well. The goal now is to continue to save so that is the downside.

How long will it for us to learn enough and feel very comfortable sailing alone on the boat? This is important for me I do not want to feel unsecure.

Because we are not from the sailing world we are not the most handy. An older boat for me means a lot of work. However what is a good age? without buying new which seems crazy.

Thanks!

bell ringer
Do enough sailing to be sure you actually like sailing.

I wouldn't get a boat now if the only reason is to learn. You learn later as there is no difference between now and there as far as the learning goes.

Administrator
I agree with Don. Learn how to sail first then you'll know enough to be able to start thinking about the type of boat you need for the type of sailing you end up doing.

You have a goal now based on what you think sailing is about. Don't close your mind to other sailing adventures as you learn more. It's all fun, but you probably have no concept yet about the cost of owning and maintaining a sail boat.

Best of luck.

Registered
We're fairly new to sailing, too, and in our early 50's. Consider the advice in the previous two posts tripled.

Sailing is wonderful. We love it. However, it's NOTHING like we envisioned. Here's a couple observations.

1. To people accustomed to life on land in a house with a yard, sailboats are VERY VERY small. Even large sailboats are VERY VERY SMALL.

2. A house or other dwelling needs repairs, but you can go long stretches with virtually no maintenance needed. A long time without anything breaking or needing maintenance on a sailboat is, maybe... a day... if the planets are aligned correctly.

3. Sailing can be long stretches of relative tranquility and beauty, punctuated by moments, or even extended periods if you're not weather-cautious, of sheer terror. Do you like terror?

4. Mmmmmm...... Humidity!

5. You know how some young married folks (or even unmarried these days) think having a kid will help bring them together and improve their relationship? HAH!!!!! My wife and I have, at least in our experience, about the best marriage I've ever seen; 32 years, going strong, and loving it. Our kids were the one thing we DID have the occasional disagreement over. Well.. the boat does the same thing. You'd better be SURE you and your partner have a STRONG relationship. There's nowhere to retreat to during a disagreement, and you WILL be placed in difficult circumstances and be making difficult decisions together.

6. Not enough ice cubes.

7. Hey, what's that smell?

8. The next store isn't a few miles away... it can be a few days away.

9. Hey, what's that OTHER smell?

10. If you're not handy before you head out, you WILL be when you get back... either that or you'll be broke or you won't get far.

I don't mean this to be discouraging AT ALL. Sailing is one of the best things we've done together, and we love it. Will we retire onto a beautiful boat and sail around the world, cruising our favorite spots in the Caribbean as we had envisioned two years ago prior to ACTUALLY sailing? Probably not. We like a lot of things about our life on land too much to give it up. Will we take extended trips on our sailboat, and maybe get a bigger boat in another couple years? Absolutely.

I would NOT make any serious retirement or financial plans based on sailing until you have sailed. Buy a cheapish boat that you can take some weekend trips on, and learn that way. It'll be a cheap, fast education, it'll be fun, and THEN you'll have a much better idea of your wants and needs for the future.

ENJOY!

Barry

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,
Thanks for the information! I did not go into full explanation about our experience, but we have sailed a few times with friends in the Med. Granted it is not enough, but we are not totally blind going into this. As for buying a boat we are for sure not looking at doing that yet either.

I like all the comments you make Barry, also because I agree with most of them. It was not discouraging for me either. It only made me feel we have a good chance it will mostly be what we expect and will enjoy.

We lived about 6 months in a VW Van through New Zealand, and AUS so we know small spaces. Living in Holland spaces are also smaller. The repairs on the boat I also agree with you on.

We have been together for 24 years... we have learned some skills about relationships. :)
Never use ice cubes we are european. :)
As for the boat like I said no plans to buy one until we get closer to the goal.
It all was good advice thanks

Registered
Hello,
Thanks for the information! I did not go into full explanation about our experience, but we have sailed a few times with friends in the Med. Granted it is not enough, but we are not totally blind going into this. As for buying a boat we are for sure not looking at doing that yet either.

I like all the comments you make Barry, also because I agree with most of them. It was not discouraging for me either. It only made me feel we have a good chance it will mostly be what we expect and will enjoy.

We lived about 6 months in a VW Van through New Zealand, and AUS so we know small spaces. Living in Holland spaces are also smaller. The repairs on the boat I also agree with you on.

We have been together for 24 years... we have learned some skills about relationships. :)
Never use ice cubes we are european. :)
As for the boat like I said no plans to buy one until we get closer to the goal.
It all was good advice thanks
My apologies for making assumptions! Forget what I wrote... buy a 44' Passport and go see the world, my friend! Take us with you, of course...

Best to you,

Barry

P.S. We will bring our own stinking ice cubes!!! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok sounds like a deal. Bring some ice cubes, I will check out this 44' Passport and we will see what we can do. We are not so interested in seeing the world by boat, but the Med and Carib will be enough.
Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts