SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahoy Sailors, My name is Zac and I am a college student in Clemson, S.C. I was wanting to buy a boat to sail on the weekends through the Summer. I would mostly be sailing around in a lake (Lake Jocassee). Now I have been on a bass boat once or twice, but that's about it. I somewhat understand the mechanics of a sailboat... you have your hull, your sails, your rudder, your keel, etc. Other than that I am completely clueless. I plan on reading more books if I decide to buy a boat. So with that in mind would I be crazy to by a sailboat? (Not having any experience and no one to teach me).

The boat that I am looking at is a late 70s model Hunter 25 for $4000. I could come up with $4000 but I wouldn't want to pour money into it for maintenance. Would I be buying a timebomb? All that really matters to me is that it floats but I'm sure there could be hidden cost that I'm not seeing.

I'm a quick learner and really "tough." In other words, I'm not afraid of a challenge and my first sailing expeditions don't have to be as easygoing and luxurious as a walk in the park. Wise advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
Welcome to Sailnet.

You're not crazy. One thing I would do though is learn as much as you can. Also before buying a boat make sure you have the knowledge you need. Don't rush into it. There is only so much you can on your own as an inexperienced buyer. With that in mind you really need to look into getting a survey done on any boat you buy so that you're reasonably sure you aren't getting a lemon.

Others here can provide a lot better information than I can. There is a wealth of knowledge here so you came to the right place.

As for the boat you're looking at, lemme guess. It's on Lake Hartwell right? :)

Good luck.

Ahoy Sailors, My name is Zac and I am a college student in Clemson, S.C. I was wanting to buy a boat to sail on the weekends through the Summer. I would mostly be sailing around in a lake (Lake Jocassee). Now I have been on a bass boat once or twice, but that's about it. I somewhat understand the mechanics of a sailboat... you have your hull, your sails, your rudder, your keel, etc. Other than that I am completely clueless. I plan on reading more books if I decide to buy a boat. So with that in mind would I be crazy to by a sailboat? (Not having any experience and no one to teach me).

The boat that I am looking at is a late 70s model Hunter 25 for $4000. I could come up with $4000 but I wouldn't want to pour money into it for maintenance. Would I be buying a timebomb? All that really matters to me is that it floats but I'm sure there could be hidden cost that I'm not seeing.

I'm a quick learner and really "tough." In other words, I'm not afraid of a challenge and my first sailing expeditions don't have to be as easygoing and luxurious as a walk in the park. Wise advice is greatly appreciated.

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
You can learn it yourself on a lake like that and 4k is a decent asking price for that boat. You could spend a LOT more on stuff you don't know about like bad sails, leaky hull, bad standing rigging, outboard on life support etc. ...so it is a good idea, even on a cheap boat to get a surveyor...probably would run 4-500 bucks.
If you get her...get a copy of Sailing for Dummies and go have fun. It ain't that hard to sail...sailing WELL takes years...but you can have a blast from the start!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahaha Yea it's on Hartwell, I found it on Craigslist. I read the linked post by ckgreenman and there is a wealth of information there. So I'm getting the impression that it's generally "ok" to buy an older boat as long as its in good shape. Or should I wait till I win the loto? Thanks for the info mates.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
lol I've seen that CL ad (I'm actually interested too but don't have the money yet).

Yes it's ok to buy an older boat if it's in good condition or you are able/willing to work on it to make it a good boat. The advice about a survey is very important though. They know what to look for and can advise whether the problems are minor (and fixable) or major and deal breakers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts