SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ive never sailed before but i want to learn and buy a sail boat to live and travle on.I need information and experance to get started i know im land locked right now but i can travle to meet new friendsand explore my options im very seriuos about this this is my dream ive travled all my life and have found that this is what i want to do for the rest of my life i would like to make friends and learn every thing i can so hi my name is matt talk to me and tell me where to start.:)

·
An Aussie Sailor
122 Posts
Welcome Matt.. lots of knowledgeable ppl on here, wait till you get some replies from ones over your side of the ocean. You'll enjoy the adventure. You never stop learning with sailing.

Mychael

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome, Matt. Sounds like you are in a similar position to my husband and I. We are just going on our first sailing outing tomorrow. We also want to learn to sail and then buy a boat to travel! Good luck!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Welcome Matt. This site is a great place to start. A wealth of knowledge here, and a very helpful bunch of sailors.

You might consider getting in touch with folks in the Dallas/ Ft. Worth area who sail. There are Catalina 22 fleets at Grapevine Lake, Lake Arlington and Lake Worth. Here are the names and e-mails of the fleet captains of these 3 fleets:

Fleet 30 at Grapevine - John Gorman, john at fleet 30 dot com.

Fleet 85 at Lake Arlington - Lynn Van Hooser, Clvh4obgyn at yahoo dot com.

Fleet 82 at Lake Worth - Waylan Gillihan, gillway at sbcglobal dot net.

No doubt these fleets are associated with sailing clubs at those locations with many sailors on many different types of boats. Starting out on small boats like the C22, and even smaller daysailers and dinghies is the best way to get your feet wet in the great world of sailing. Good luck. I know you're going to have a ball. Welcome to the party.:thewave:

Pat
Catalina 22
s/v Stargazer

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thans for the info
on another not i was wondering if what i was thinking is possible
i was thinking that i could become a master diver have a sailboat big enough for the open ocean and travle making money letting people stay aboard like a getaway and diving and sailing and having fun and exploring the world ive done some research on this and it seems very possible and there are alot of avinues to make money while sailing now i know i have alot to learn and could stand to be in better shape but if im wrong than id like to know now so that i can change my stratigy

·
Picnic Sailor
2,122 Posts
Matt everything is possible.

There are lots of people who have done some of the things you suggest to make money while sailing around the world, some are successful, some aren't. Other people have managed to invest wisely, and are able to fund their dream merely off the return from these investments.

Another category are those who save what they can, and build what is known as a 'cruising kitty' before going. You may be able to get work along the way to complement this 'kitty'....

Running a commercial operation as you are seeming to be suggesting obviously has it's complications and difficulties. Another similar option to this, is to just 'have people along' on a shared cost basis. This is popular with some cruising sailors, as you get to meet new people and share your lifestyle with them.

Lao Tzu would tell you that a journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step. So as suggested above get on down to a sailing club and get your butt on a boat.

Welcome to Sailnet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts