SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I'm new to the Tampa area just moved here from the Great White North. Sailing has been a dream of mine for quite a while now although my experience is very limited.

A short time ago I chartederd a boat for a day of lessons and now need to hone my skills (or lack thereof). Sadly owning a boat is not in the cards just now for several reasons.

Does anyone know where I can rent a small sailboat for day/weekend sailing? All the places I've found are renting dignies or yachets that are above my comfort zone...

Phil

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
You might be surprised at just how inexpensive it can be to purchase a used dinghie. Have you checked Craigslist?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the sailing in Tampa. You might be able to find some sailing clubs, though, or you might consider crewing on a race boat.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim,

I've been shopping craigslist and other sites and have a good idea what is out there, the problem for me is storage... Stupid Neighborhood Association.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Phil. Welcome to the Tampa area. Great sailing here. I'm in Riverview. I have a 20' trailer sailer that I love to take out on the bay. There are plenty of great deals on sailboats here. If you ever want to get out for a sail, you have lots of options. The Tampa Sailing Squadron is great. They are in Apollo Beach. Not sure where you are, but look them up. If you need more help, PM me or I can give you my email.

Steve

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Phil,

I think the term is "dry sailing", others please correct me. You buy a boat and store it at the marina on the trailor for fairly short money. They can even launch it for you. This would get you on the water now regardless of the neighbors. Also, don't be afraid of a larger boat. The only thing I've sailed is my 25 footer. Take lessons if you can but atleast get in a coarse on sailing and seamanship from the USCGA. Also, get Sailing for Dummies or some other resource and study like crazy.

Don

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Hello all!

I'm new to the Tampa area just moved here from the Great White North. Sailing has been a dream of mine for quite a while now although my experience is very limited.

A short time ago I chartederd a boat for a day of lessons and now need to hone my skills (or lack thereof). Sadly owning a boat is not in the cards just now for several reasons.

Does anyone know where I can rent a small sailboat for day/weekend sailing? All the places I've found are renting dignies or yachets that are above my comfort zone...

Phil
Phil--

You might want to take a look at the SPYC Sailing Center program at Sailing Center Information - St. Petersburg Yacht Club

1 - 7 of 7 Posts