SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sail4Vets
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined Sailnet!
I do have a question for the veteran posters here...Is a charity considered a commercial business? I do not want to intrude or violate any of the rules here and I am in no way selling anything. What we do is put Sailors together with US Military Veterans as a nice way to give back for their services.We are also looking to purchase a couple of sailboats for use in this purpose. I am personally paying for one myself to donate to this cause. To me there are very few things as relaxing and enjoyable as sailing. I wanted to find a way to incorporate my favorite thing in helping others. My father is an Army Vet who served in Vietnam on 2 tours. Growing up in the military was like being part of a big family. With out troops coming home I think this is a great way to pay them back by allowing them and their family to have a nice outing or trip.
I have found that sailors are some of the nicest and most generous people who are always willing to share their knowledge and help others.

Anyway, I apologize if this is not allowed on this site but I figured I would throw it out there. I am not soliciting anyone for anything, but if anyone is interested in helping I would be happy to talk to you.

Thank You,
Bill W.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Welcome to SailNet, Bill.

Where are you located? There is a program like you describe on the Chesapeake. I know there are a few sailing clubs that participate.

I don't think there is a problem with you letting us know what your charity is about. Are you a sailor yourself? What type of boat?

·
Sail4Vets
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in the process of looking for a new sailboat now. I sold my Iwrin when I moved from Florida back to New Orleans...big mistake as I have missed it since... I am located in the New Orleans area now. My family lives in Panama City, FL. So in searching for a new vessel I am keeping in mind many fun trips back and forth. Hopefully I will have my new (used) boat by the next 2 months.. I have been looking a lot in FL as it seems that I can get a much better deal there and many more options to choose from...plus the trip home would just be awesome! It is amazing what you can buy for around $5k there... I like the older ones as they seem to be more solid built than the new boats. My Irwin was a 73' model and it was rock solid. A 30' or so would do me just fine. I lived on my 28.5 for about 6 months. While a bit small I loved it...nothing like being able to unhook your house for a nice sail down the ICW in Florida!
I am also planning on doing the great loop. I figured I could start next spring and that would give me plenty of time to prepare for that wonderful adventure. (Capt John has a great website with all kinds of good info.)
I figured while I am sailing around I might as well invite others for the fun! And that's why I wanted to start the Sail4Vets.

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
Welcome to sailnet, as a vet thanks for wanting to help fellow vets out. Good luck with the loop, it's on my bucket list.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts