SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I recently acquired a 1974 Cal 2-29. I grew up sailing small mono hull and catamarans. My wife has taken a local week long sailing course using Thunderbirds. We had our first solo sail on the boat and had a great sail. Plenty to learn and practice on this boat.
We are in the process of cleaning, learning and preparing the boat. We just had the Power Squadron do a Vessel Safety Check and we couldn't find the "Capacity/Certificate of Compliance" plaque. Does anyone know where it is located on a Cal 2-29?

·
19,485 Posts
I wouldn't expect a dinghy-like capacity plate on a Cal 29... You'll be lucky to find a builder's plate or possibly even an HIN.

Great boat for what you're doing! Congrats and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. The boat has a HIN number, but I don't know or have not found the certificate of compliance plaque. Does anyone know when the USCG started requiring those plaques on boats?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
As Faster mentioned Capacity Plates are only required on powered vessels less than a certain length (26 ft. ???). Catalina mounts a small metal "Builders Plaque" on the outside companionway threshold that has model and hull numbers and states "This vessel conforms to ABYC standards" Blah, blah, blah. This is closest thing I can think of to a "certificate of compliance" plaque. Other builders place them inside companionway and other places.
Now, I really can't remember if Cals (or any boats) in the 70's had such plaques, but I'm doubtful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.