SailNet Community banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
I have a somewhat bigger Westerbeke and quite like it except for the part costs. There is a special place in hell set aside for the people at Westerbeke and Volvo who set their parts prices. Couple of thoughts - make sure you get the oil viscosity right. Buy a good quality diesel oil. The big Westerbeke shop in the US whose name I forget recommends a 50/50 mix of synthetic and regular diesel oil. A name brand like Shell is fine. Strangely enough the cheapest place for oil seems to be Walmart. There are coolants for diesels that apparently are different from those for gas engines. You can find them at Wmart or CanTire.

Your filter setup seems odd. Generally there is a primary, overwhelmingly these are Racors, and a secondary that is part of the engine. Ours is about the size of a fist with a flat button on top that is actually a little manual pump for bleeding (getting air out) the fuel system. Some of these pumps look more like a toggle but your engine should have one. There is a canister filter below the pump button. It looks like a smaller oil filter. Buy genuine filters - they usually are not too expensive since they are basically the same as those used on Perkins and perhaps other marine diesels.

If you go the main Westerbeke website you can download the parts and shop manuals for your engine. The part numbering system has changed but they can cross-reference as needed. Learn how to bleed your fuel system at least as far as the fuel filter. It is not hard (messy at times have lots of paper towels handy) and you can't break anything. if you don't do it right the only that happens is that the engine won't start. When you change a fuel filter or clean out the Racor (get one) you have to bleed to the engine filter. Three reasons for learning how to do it: why pay for what is fundamentally a pretty easy task, it is not uncommon to get a fuel blockage (all it takes is a bit of air) and it does happen far from a mechanic, and you will start building confidence about dealing with your engine. My son who is a BMW mechanic and works on incredibly complex engines could not belief how simple (actually his word was 'crude') the Westerbeke is. For me simple is good.

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
You need to find the regions Westerbeke dealer and send him your credit card account. You are pound-foolish to put anything other than Westerbeke parts into that engine, especially the filter and the impeller. And absolutely use a marine oil that meets all the Westerbeke-specified criteria.

Be sure to replace the coolant with the same type of coolant, again check the owners manual for specified criteria.

Add replacing the engine zinc to your list and consider back-flushing the cooling system to get the old zinc material out of the heat exchanger.
I am not sure why you say this. The only thing Westerbeke makes are the marinization parts, and most of those are going to be off the shelf parts. They don't make filters, impellers or oil, though they do relabel others. The engine zink is about the only thing that they may make, so you likely don't have much choice there. Even the raw water pump is made by one of the majors like Sherwood or Johnson, so no real need to contact Westerbeke. Sure there will be special manifolds and what not that they will hold you over the coals price wise, but why pay higher prices for things like filters? I don't think you should go cheap, but Wix gold are about as good as they get and sold at Napa for a few bucks. Or go to a Mitsubishi dealership and get an OE there. Just stay away from Fram and other cheap ones.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
The engine zinc is about the only thing that they may make, so you likely don't have much choice there. Even the raw water pump is made by one of the majors like Sherwood or Johnson.....
Canada Metal (under the Martyr brand) is one of the largest manufacturers of zincs in the world. A good marine store should have the correct one for your engine. I have yet to see an engine zinc - or any other type of zinc - that they don't produce.

Water pump and impeller are most likely Jabsco - they are the most prolific manufacturer.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts