SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Along this same thread, we purchased a "new to us" sailboat a few months ago. My husband enjoys his rum so we decided to keep the vessel's original name "Rum Line". We would like to re-christen her as she's new to us and we are not sure if she was ever christened by the original owners that we purchased from. What's your general thought on re-christening an existing name? Would it be inappropriate to (re-)christen her with rum instead of champagne.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My dear Serenity has had half a dozen names in 30 years.. When I told my father that I was going to rename the boat he said how much bad luck I'd entail and it wouldn't be true unless I went through all these steps of booze and virgins urinating in the bilge and ... ugh.. whatever.

!!

When I was 10, I would have believed him on all the bad mojo I could garner by renaming a boat.. EVEN ONCE!! Heck, I know that the Yamaha 33 he bought in 1980 is STILL called Haiku even though she's been through umteen owners since my dad, and even he bought it from a friend.
In the end I did the title documentation, drank some rum in the galley and put new stickers on the stern.
To me, she's SERENITY, and all my luck has been good.. I don't care about her previous names, but I know this one will be her LAST.
How's that?

BTW, I don't think any alcohol should be wasted breaking across a bow!!

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
yes rechristen it with champagne(rum) over the bow and a sail into the sunset...

or unstep the mast and put your favourite coin under...

something...

jajaja

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I'm not the superstitious sort, I just peeled off the old letters and stuck on the new. In an instant "STONE FOOT" became "TAG YOU'RE IT"

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
thats what Im doing too...however I will be at least toasting the change with a drink or 2!

notice the op is NOT changing the name hence the question

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
What's your general thought on re-christening an existing name? Would it be inappropriate to (re-)christen her with rum instead of champagne.
Generally I think it's bad luck to be superstitious....however the sea is a fickle thing. For all things marine related, I believe in sacrificing small animals to pagan gods, and generally whatever it takes to curry favor with the ocean that may one day squish you like a bug on a whim.

Yes, a bottle of good rum broken across the bows or poured into the bilge and at the 4 corners of the boat (for the 4 winds) would be appropriate. Choose a rum that is spicy if your boat is a racer, and dark and aged with oak if she is more traditional.

Medsailor

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
I think a re-christening ceremony is a fine excuse for a party - if you need an excuse.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
So you're asking a bunch of salty dogs if it would be OK to have a naming ceremony where the name doesn't change and they'd have to drink rum instead of champagne..... uhhmmm, what was the question again?

·
Administrator
7,944 Posts
Do what you like. Its a boat. Theres no such thing as superstition. Have a party, whatever, to welcome the boat into your family. Just have fun.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I think a re-christening ceremony is a fine excuse for a party - if you need an excuse.

thats my plan! maybe do a see how many people fit on my boat before it starts LISTING party!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Freedom isn't free
3,118 Posts
A boat with a name of "rum line" most certainly was Christened. Likely MORE than once. Otherwise, don't bother, and save the good stuff for drinking... but whatever "floats your boat," and congrats!

No worries about Christening again... Make sure to use good rum! Buy the big bottle, you'll get lots of "help."

·
Superior Sailor
1,032 Posts
I'm pretty sure it count's if you drink the rum...and then smash the bottle...

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
those rum bottles are tough though so if you smash it be damn sure it smashes! or

ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tan tan tan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts