SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...probably not the first to ask about this but couldn't find an answer in the forum.
I have a Beneteau First325 and am replacing depth, speed, and wind instruments. Pulled old thru-hull transducers and found that the new transducers are 1/8" smaller in diameter. Was considering building out the extra 1/8" by laying layers of fiberglass and resin on inside of hole walls...figured a few layers would probably build out the 1/8" I need. I'll be using the West Marine sealant(their version of 3m 4200) to seal the flange to the underside the boat and then fill the threads of the transducers with the sealant as per instructions.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
How about digging out a quarter inch of core material from the inside of the hole, sealing the bottom of the hole, filling it with thickened epoxy and re drilling the correct size?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
An 1/8 of inch doesn't sound like much. I am assuming there is enough of a flange on the new transducers to support them and you are just trying to take up the gap. If so, I think your approach is fine. If you need more support, then a more substantial structural repair is called for.

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
It won't be cored.
Perhaps not with wood, but I was referring to whatever the core of the hull is made of, something is between the gelcoat. It's just the concept of creating a groove to hold the epoxy.

If I were sealing this over permanently, I would glass it from the outside too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up laying a few layers of fiberglass mat and resin across a few days. Sanding between layering. It seems to have worked. I got the hole down to a diameter where the transducer housings fit snugly. Used the West Marine sealant on inside of flange of housing on outside of boat with LOTS of sealant up the threads of housing. I forced some sealant from inside the boat down into gap between housing and hull. Really no gap to speak of but we all know how that water will find it's way.
It seems to have worked out well. However(BIG however) the boat doesn't drop until next week. I'll be onboard with fingers crossed when it does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts