SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have brand new shiny turnbuckles and new standing rigging. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good lubricant/protectant?

Dave

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Lanocote. Can't really do better than that. :)

..with maybe some machine oil on the threads to help first-time assembly.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I use Brake lube, seems to work fine. Then again, i unstep my mast every year for storage. I've heard that lanacote is the champ.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/AGS-Sil-Glyde-brake-lubricant/_/N-268d?itemIdentifier=752442_0_0_

Silicone base brake lubricant recommended for the entire brake assembly and is compatible with rubber. It is moisture-proof and heat resistant to over 600 degrees F, which means it won t burn-off like other brake noise products.

Reduces noise in brake assemblies
Will not run off in high temperatures
Can be used on all brake parts
High film strength

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Lanacote or tef-gel are the two major players. Tef-gel is a little sticky but not horrible. I've seen stuff brake loose with a screwdrive that has been in the mast for the better part of a decade with tef-gel. I don't have any personal experience with lanacote, but have heard similar result. Amazing stuff.

·
Noah's Bosun
236 Posts
Another vote for Lanocote.... Also use it for stainless/aluminum barrier coat, doping electrical plugs on the mast harness, holding a loose gasket in place while seating a part, lube and corrosion prevention on my Opinel pocket knife, anchor shackles, and a million and one other things...

The sailors friend. A little bit of sheep grease goes a long ways.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
well any grease/lube is better than nothing

not being close to places that carry tef gel and the like I used some nice texaco grease...on some of my new stuff as well as the old while tuning the rig...

one of my old turnbuckles was seized, but thankfully a machine shop did a nice job of freeing it up...

anywhoo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts