SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just brought home an 86 oday 27 hooked it up to shore power and got nothing. I then noticed there was an inline bus fuse going to the ac to dc converter which I replaced once replaced and switched the breaker over it started surging to max amperage trips then shuts down every 5 seconds or so.

anyone have any idea whats going on here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0I9vMmHGkYXVklqMXJqM2R4WFk/edit?usp=sharing

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Reaction score
That charger is an old ferro resonant type that is constant voltage and will not be good for your batteries. It belongs in the trash. Replace it with a modern 3 stage charger.

You should check the wiring as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Batteries were dead like you said. Thank you, I guess I don't understand the low battery short. I thought a converter was basically a charger. I took on battery home and charged it and put a trickle on the one I left in the boat.
Are the batteries better of on the trickle charger or the old converter?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Reaction score
1. Batteries were dead like you said. Thank you, I guess I don't understand the low battery short.

2. I thought a converter was basically a charger.

3. Are the batteries better of on the trickle charger or the old converter?
1. If the batteries are really dead the charger can't provide any output against essentially a short that's inside the batteries.

2. It is. Converter hasn't been used here in decades.

3. Uhm, WADR, what part of reply #3 wasn't clear?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.