SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on this one for awhile and finally finished the last part today. Hopefully you can see a bit of an improvement in production quality but there is still room for improvement to say the least lol. Anyway I hope somebody can get something out of these. Here is the link to the first one and if you look at my other videos you find the other 3. These are a bit shorter and broken into what I hope are useful sections that can stand on there own.

Be kind, remember I aint Hollywood!

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,667 Posts

·
No more curry buffets
423 Posts
I am surprised to see no backing plates on any of those thru hulls, what a shortcut. And at around 10:35 you just easily knocked out a thru hull with a hammer. Isn't Lagoon kind of a premium boat?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I am surprised to see no backing plates on any of those thru hulls, what a shortcut. And at around 10:35 you just easily knocked out a thru hull with a hammer. Isn't Lagoon kind of a premium boat?
You must have missed the fiberglass disk backing plates that he meticulously cut out while explaining what they were.

·
No more curry buffets
423 Posts
I am talking about the first film, as he is removing the old hardware.

6.55 we arrive at the first two thru hulls in the film, which have no backing plates. 8.49, cut in close on the heating of the hose. No backing plate. 9.39, we come upon the thru hull that is knocked out with a few taps of the hammer. No backing plate. 10.37, two more thru hulls, "with the fittings removed, it's time to cut out the thru hulls." No backing plate.

Again, I am rather surprised that what I would think is a basic construction technique is omitted by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I am talking about the first film, as he is removing the old hardware.

6.55 we arrive at the first two thru hulls in the film, which have no backing plates. 8.49, cut in close on the heating of the hose. No backing plate. 9.39, we come upon the thru hull that is knocked out with a few taps of the hammer. No backing plate. 10.37, two more thru hulls, "with the fittings removed, it's time to cut out the thru hulls." No backing plate.

Again, I am rather surprised that what I would think is a basic construction technique is omitted by the manufacturer.
My apologies. I thought that you were suggesting that he didn't include backing plates in his installation.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are correct there were no backing plates and it was surprising how much the hull flexed when pressure was applied to the valve. They also use a very poor quality bronze, almost brass and that is why the owner was having them replaced. Lagoons are ok boats, they are price point and I sort of see them like the Pearsons of the early 80s. They are built light for better performance. I guess I added and extra 50 lbs in bronze lol. If you have French boat I recommend you keep an eye on your thru hulls and think about replacing if they are more then 5 years old as that is the life span they are designed for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts