SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received this from our marina...

"The State of Maryland has put into effect new regulations and limits regarding the amount of VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) that are released into the atmosphere.
As a marina and supplier of paints and solvents, [name withheld]Marina is required to record all paints and solvents used on our property, regardless of where purchased.
If you purchase paints and or solvents from us, you will not have to do anything we will record all quantities when sold.
If you purchase paint, and or solvents elsewhere, that you plan to use on your boat on our property, you will have to bring the cans to our marina store to have it recorded and stamped."

...one step closer to eliminating DIY maintenance

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,152 Posts
Fortunately, you are only a day's sail from God's country.

Sail to DIY yard in Virginia. Paint boat. Sail back to Md. Regret ever moving to communist-occupied Md.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
At least we don't have the personal property tax fascists that they have in the capital of the Confederacy!

Guess my boatyard didn't get the memo yet.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
James,

Eventually, those in power abuse their authority and take things too far. The pendulum always swings the other way.

I'm wondering when that day will come for Maryland. I hear a lot of unhappy voices here.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Just received this from our marina...

"The State of Maryland has put into effect new regulations and limits regarding the amount of VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) that are released into the atmosphere.
As a marina and supplier of paints and solvents, [name withheld]Marina is required to record all paints and solvents used on our property, regardless of where purchased.
If you purchase paints and or solvents from us, you will not have to do anything we will record all quantities when sold.
If you purchase paint, and or solvents elsewhere, that you plan to use on your boat on our property, you will have to bring the cans to our marina store to have it recorded and stamped."

...one step closer to eliminating DIY maintenance
Check the MD VOC limit. All of the common paints pass.

"Once a premises has exceeded the 15 pounds per day threshold, only products that satisfy the new, lower limits can be used. These thresholds are very low and will affect almost every marina that permits work to be done on vessels while they are on the hard."

Actually, the threshold is 3.3 pounds/gallon. You DO NOT have to go to water-based paints, not in MD. Anything less than 400g/L will pass.

Pettit Horizons-------------323
Pettit Trinidad--------------400
Pettit SR 40-----------------330
Interlux Micron--------------330

Sail Delmarva: Maryland DNR Tries to Understand Bottom Paint

Did the research, no problem.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
PDQ-

I see that you included Interlux Micron on your list. Does that include Micron Extra?

That's the paint I use, and I'd like to stick with it.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
^^ VOCs are listed on paint MSDSs. They're all on the net.

the actuall bottom line, the part that makes the regulation funny, is that if there is a high copper content, (>65%)after adding binders, there really isn't room in the formulation for much VOC material!

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
^^ VOCs are listed on paint MSDSs. They're all on the net.
Just for the record, my understanding is that MSDSes are being replaced with differently formatted Safety Data Sheets (SDSes) over the next couple of years. I think the new format is easier to read and there is more information.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts