SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Nicholas Wansten; I am part of a non-profit organization called Floating Doctors. We are nearing the seaworthiness of a 76 ft sail boat we are building in Palm Coast, Florida and will soon be sailing from here to Central America and the Eastern Pacific over the next 12 months to provide free healthcare to developing countries. We will be travelling from here, first to Haiti, then to Belize, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Tuamotu Archipelago, Cook Islands, and Fiji, then back to our homes in Los Angeles.

I would really appreciate any and all advice we could get regarding the navigation of this route but more specifically anything having to do with entering port in these countries. What complications may we run into? We also have a boat dog and cat, how may this change the entrance process?

I welcome any other topics as well

Thanks!

Please visit our website at Floatingdoctors.com for more information. Many more pictures on our Facebook page (Floating Doctors)

·
Don Radcliffe
398 Posts
Look at the country-by-country entrance requirements on noonsite.com

Best to leave the dog and cat home.

You need air cover. You should communicate with each country in advance, explain your program, and make sure that you are welcome. In most cases you will develop a local contact who can expedite your formalities.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Ian - where are you these days? it's good to see you around, mate.

PS - Welcome to SN FDoc!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey Floating Drs! I've just followed a very similar route to Panama from Houston, TX hitting Mexico, Belize, Honduras, Colombia, & Panama. I sail with a 60 lb Siberian husky and haven't had a single issue with her on board. The customs and immigration procedures are generally very quick and painless in all the countries I've visited so far.

For info on both navigation and clearing in for Mexico and Belize pick up Cpt Freya Rauschers guide to Belize and Mexico's Caribbean Coast. Excellent guide. Not much worth a damn out there for Honduras, Nicaragua, & Costa Rica. Truth told Nicaragua and Costa Rica's Caribbean coast are not set at all for cruising boats. No facilities at all that I was able to discover in Nicaragua and Puerto Limon, Costa Rica is accessible, but rarely used. If you do enter Limon anchor in the main turning basin near the pier lights as theft has occurred further out in the small islands outside the pier.

Feel free to hit me directly with a message if you have specific questions. Do make sure to get a USDA health certificate for both animals before you leave. Even expired it smooths entry procedures for those countries who will care if you have animals on board or not.

Lee

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Memo to Floating Doctors

Posting the same message to multiple forums and/or threads is against the rules. Please don't do it again.

Duplicate threads have been deleted and/or merged.

I'm presuming you are legit and not a scam so nothing else is being done but don't push it, OK ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about the messages I'm kinda a newb to the whole forum thing I didn't know.

Thank you all for your advice and warm wishes! Noonsite is amazing and so very helpful. We have communicated with most of the countries we will be visiting and we will be contacting those which we have not yet prior to our departure. We will definitely consider your anchoring recommendations and as far as deckhands go, please visit our website at www.floatingdoctors.com and email us your resume! Ryan McCormick is the one to email. Thank you all again and please if there is anything else that any of you think of please don't hesitate to let me know!!

·
Registered
795 Posts
How are you handling potential medical licensing issues if you plan to practice medicine in several different countries?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Unless things have changed, the entrance to the Rio Dulce at Livingston Guatemale is a narrow channel about 6' deep out in a large expanse of water, How much do you draw? You can reach the interior up the Rio and many tiny villages along Lake Isabel. I remember saying to a young boy at a beautiful little hamlet. "why is every thing so clean, where is all the garbage?" He replyed; "We have a special place to bury garbage and I love my counrty so much, that I would never allow a piece of paper or garbage to be anywhere." I was touched. I think about our Land where we even build roads in our parks for the garbage trucks...??

·
Registered
452 Posts
My name is Nicholas Wansten; I am part of a non-profit organization called Floating Doctors. We are nearing the seaworthiness of a 76 ft sail boat we are building in Palm Coast, Florida and will soon be sailing from here to Central America and the Eastern Pacific over the next 12 months to provide free healthcare to developing countries. We will be travelling from here, first to Haiti, then to Belize, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Tuamotu Archipelago, Cook Islands, and Fiji, then back to our homes in Los Angeles.
Why don't you start in Florida and go back north to Maine? You may do as much free help here....
And cruising waters are beautiful and relatively safe yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you want to drop me a PM, I can relate some of the entry "issues" I had while flying into numerous Central American countries for medical mercy and repat missions. They may or may not relate well to transitting through a port, but you might find a few useful tidbits. The major part of my missions were pre-9/11, and I did notice a certain amount of changes post, so if nothing else, you may want to know that what is published on any given website- official government or not- may or may not be the routine you find "on the ground" when you get to port.

·
cruising all I can
917 Posts
On your websight you indicate a Nov. 2009 departure. Is this still the plan?
If so I'm suprised that just a few weeks before your departure date your just now considering the legalities/ramafacations of entering foreign countries and ports on a humanitarian based mission , with pets none the less !
Also I have serious concerns as to the ability of the crew and seaworthyness of your craft. As I understand it, not only have you never sailed together as a crew, your crew has never been away from the dock in the vessel you plan on taking 3/4 of the way around the world to some of the most remote locations, with an older powerplant and an obviously limited sail plan !
To say I'm looking at the whole plan and shaking my head is an understatement !
Even with unlimited funding and an unquestionably sound ,proven,and seaworthy craft your intended journey would be quite an undertaking. And that is not even considering that you intend to lend aid to the peoples in your intended route.
care to comment ?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I agree with Joe and the floatingDr wants you to submit a resume! And they dont know what ever and are just planing routes? I think I will pass on this.

·
cruising all I can
917 Posts
Yea, I guess the departure date gets pushed back once again. I must say I'm not at all suprised. I would be more suprised if the boat ever leaves the dock w/ present crew aboard. the word around the Marina I'm presently at is they are a pack of moochers looking for handouts and the "doctor" is a PHD not an MD. Also, they went begging a while back at the Palm coast yacht club and "ate and Drank" for free and put on a dog and pony show in an attempt to raise funds.
anyone heard or know of anything different I would be interested to learn more.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Sounds like they need a trip to the Tool academy

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
It does sound like the Dr. and his crew are a bit clueless about how to go about voyage planning... and I wouldn't put much faith into them ever leaving the dock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts