SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
19,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We joined our yacht club's annual New Year's eve get together at nearby Bowen Island last night - a nice 10 mile trip from our slip.

As we left yesterday in a window between gale warnings, we encountered this view, complete with absolute calm:

And we had a pleasant chug over in near sunshine. The next morning, after ushering in the New Year in a slight cool drizzling rain, we woke up to this:

This really has been (for us) a winter to remember and its only a week or so old!!

Happy New Year!

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
You call that winter? :D

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Why is Faster whining about a few measly inches of snow... WAH, WAH, WAH... :) :D

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
That is the MAIN point, it IS winter, AND we can STILL sail! Out here on the left coast, like brains, we are in our RIGHT mind!:D:D:D:D

OK, back to your regularly scheduled program!

Marty

PS,
Faster, did you not have some similar pics from last yr? New years something in between gales!

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Typed above, looked outside, and a cloud with a dusting came thru! Yesterday no snow 100 miles south of Faster, today, snow in the forecast. Not sure if I should be happy or sad!......As long as I can get to snoqualmie tomorrow to ski, life is good!

·
19,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why is Faster whining about a few measly inches of snow... WAH, WAH, WAH... :) :D
Yeah, yeah, I know.... but you need to understand our perspective here.. on the rare occasions that we get serious snow, it's usually washed away in a day or two.. we now have over a foot or so on the ground, have been below freezing for pretty much a couple of weeks.. it's just not the way its supposed to be!!!:mad: ;)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Faster! Knock it off. They are all going to want to move here!

Change the subject...

Boy, it sure rains a lot, and it's cloudy here

David

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yeah, yeah, I know.... but you need to understand our perspective here.. on the rare occasions that we get serious snow, it's usually washed away in a day or two.. we now have over a foot or so on the ground, have been below freezing for pretty much a couple of weeks.. it's just not the way its supposed to be!!!:mad: ;)
Well, on the other hand, if this was all we had to deal with for a couple months, then on to decent sailing weather, I'd take it any year of my lifetime.
We usually get balmy moderate temps here and more rain than I care for and this much cold & snow only happens once every 50 years or so, guess we have to tolerate it once in our lives. But Faster is right if you understood our perspective you'd understand our disdain, this is Lotus Land at this latitude and we are not accustomed to such winters. We still enjoy one of the premiere sailing destinations in the world.
Oh, and where else can you ski in the morning then go sailing the afternoon of the same day in fair weather?:D

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Or how about some turns in the AM, holes and sailing in the PM! This gets done at Hood in the summer! Ski from 7-10 or so, catch a round of 9 from 12-2, then some sailing on the columbia from 4-7 or there abouts!

Or in the winter, ski and sail or golf on the same day, or weekend............

oh yeah, it rains a lot too!:hothead:hothead:hothead:laugher:laugher:laugher ....................better get that in before David sinks my boat on the way out with his!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Marty

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Snowing heavily here.. An inch on the ground already... Had to take the long way back to the house when I came upon cars stuck on the hill...

Knowing Seattle drivers, they were probably preparing to abandon their cars...

David

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
You only have an inch! I have about 2 maybe 3 since 5pm or so! crazy out there!

Marty

·
19,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shoveled off the boat again today..... still snowing now.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Faster,
I've sailed four or five times in the last two weeks, baby! Went out today for three hours... light-ish winds but 68F. I dropped anchor in Port Royal Sounds and just watched the pelicans and dolphin for about an hour--and I was ALL BY MYSELF. It as so sweet. Came home and my wife was pulling a giant pot roast out of the crock pot! A true Old Milwaukee moment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah the Seattle drivers here are crazy!! They have no clue what this white stuff and why their cars act funny when it's on the ground. It's quite a sight!

·
19,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Faster,
I've sailed four or five times in the last two weeks, baby! Went out today for three hours... light-ish winds but 68F. I dropped anchor in Port Royal Sounds and just watched the pelicans and dolphin for about an hour--and I was ALL BY MYSELF. It as so sweet. Came home and my wife was pulling a giant pot roast out of the crock pot! A true Old Milwaukee moment.
Thanks for that,, Hog :mad: :mad: ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts