SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,068 Posts
Welcome to the group. Tell us about yourself - where do you sail and on what kind of boat?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My next Yacht

Thanks' for the welcome.
I think I am looking for the impossible yacht.
About 30/40 length, capable of high latitudes, single or short handed sailing, tiller steering, safe cockpit with lockers that drain into cockpit, flush decks. I am 6'2" so headroom might be an issue. Ketch or cutter rigged.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Re: My next Yacht

Thanks' for the welcome.
I think I am looking for the impossible yacht.
About 30/40 length, capable of high latitudes, single or short handed sailing, tiller steering, safe cockpit with lockers that drain into cockpit, flush decks. I am 6'2" so headroom might be an issue. Ketch or cutter rigged.
Any suggestions?
Well then the next question would be, what's your budget?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hi, how about a Columbia 39-1 . I think these boats look really cool , they have only a small blister house over the companion way otherwise they are flush deck with over 6 foot head room . They do however have wheel steering . Wait I can't believe I for got ! The boat you describe is a Kendell 32 . That boat was the first Westsail . Hope you like it .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Markwesti,
Thanks for the heads up on the Kendell 32, I have revised the size I am looking for, between 30 to 35ft. I think this size is more manageable for single handed.
People that owned or have owned a Kendell seem very happy with them. I want to use sheet to tiller steering, purely as a backup system. I did make such a system many years ago and wondered if there was any further development.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hey Bernie, I saw the sheet to tiller set up in a magazine awhile back .
The boat it was on had a very deep full keel . For anybody who is interested , the sheet starts at the end of the staysail boom runs to a block on a stanchion(windward side) then back to the cockpit thru a block and to the tiller . I don't know if it has been done on a sloop . The Kendell is a cool boat there is a some info on it, not many were made (for good reason ?) I think the first one was a gaff ketch rig with wood spars . Bernie you kind of sound like me where I like that kind of traditional stuff , and I'm not all rabid about blistering performance .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts