SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wanted to say hello and thanks for a good sail site.
I'm very close now to fullfilling my dream of owning a sailboat.
I used to dream about sailboats since I was 5 years old back in Russia.
Now I'm in Saint Pete Florida and I've been looking at some boats at the Saint Pete Marina and some on Craiglist.
I've recently sold all of my posessions and decided to live on a boat.
Decided to buy a boat that comes with transferrable Saint Pete slip that way I do not have to search for a slip, just an easy switch.
So far been looking for between 26 to 30 foot boats.
Also need to figure out what beginers sailing class I need to take, lol.
Again, thanks for the site, lots of good info here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I'm also in St Pete. Look up the St Pete Sailing Center (separate from the Yacht club) downtown. It was $250 to join and can take as many classes as they have openings for - also you can take the boats out whenever you want, but you need at least 2 people total. They restrict you the areas just south of the Pier.

If you join and need someone to go with, PM me and we can get in touch.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hi, lazy and Kommy, I just moved here from Indiana and I picked up a boat a couple of days ago *check the sig* I'm really excited about it! 21 and I got my first boat! For nothing lol not to thread jack but if either of you are looking for some people to go out with keep me in mind! I need to learn how to use the boat I have now lol Also I'll have to check ut the club you were refering too I know I looked in to the SPYC....lol....right >.>

·
Registered
652 Posts
Welcome aboard Kommy. Best of luck in your search

·
Daysailor wannabe cruiser
142 Posts
St. Pete Marina

Hey Kommy,

I saw that you were looking for a boat in the St. Pete marina. I'm pretty sure that they are NOT transferring slips right now. I bought my boat in September and they had signs on the docks and in the office that said they would not be transferring slips after October 2008. Not trying to rain on the parade but I ran into several sellers that didn't have transferrable slips that were saying they were transferrable...hoping to get the money before you find out you can't get the slip. Just make sure that you get that slip before you sign for the boat cause they'll make you move it. There is a waiting list and it could be 2 years before you get in. However, I've noticed lately that a lot of boats are moving so it may be shorter.

The loophole is that if you can find someone to partner with even if they only own 1% share of the boat you could keep the slip in their name and wait for the list to come up.

Things may have changed but you should definitely check on the transferability before you sign on the dotted line. Just pop in the office and ask. Otherwise I heard Gulfport Marina has slips open. Also check the Pasadena marina. I almost bought a boat from someone there and the slips are not too pricey and they have a pool.

The Harborage is a beautifull marina but I can't afford a slip there but I'm pretty sure they are available for about $mall fee. I think they wanted $450/month to keep my 22 footer there. Nice people though and a nice facility. Also right next to all of the boat yards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts