SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I know it's almost winter here in Seattle, but I thought I'd ask. My wife and I are looking at getting into sailing and have limited/no experience on a boat. Are any of you still out there in the sound this time of year? Would you be willing to let us crew for you for an afternoon? We are both young (30's) and looking to change our passions from mountains to sea, and could use some perspective.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
email [email protected]

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Yep.. Charlie's right. You are likely to get a ride...

Yep, we sail year round here.

Personally, I try to avoid sailing in the rain, and when it's below 45 degrees.

Where in Seattle do you live/work?

What times are you available?

Welcome!

David

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

We are available together on most Sundays. I personally am available every Saturday and weekdays after 4pm. We live in West Seattle and most of the PS marninas are within a quick drive north from 99. I am willing to travel however.

Thanks guys,

Scott

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Will be posting my sailing schedule and stuff on my website (see sig)... if interested ... planning on a Sat sail as I know of no races that we qualify for this weekend... it will be a training / social outing out of elliott bay marina...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
artbyjody

Cool. I just registered on your site. A Saturday sail sounds fantastic. Hope to hear from you,

Scott

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Jody:

I am grateful for your willingness to share the joy of sailing with others.

I'm proud to have you as a fellow PNW Sailnetter.

David

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Geez this place is getting mushy! Where is my bobcat to clean this sheet up?

oh yeah, I'm NOT supposed to put this place back in order! ok ok ok.........

Anyway Scott, welcome to the craziness of sailnet, we usually get along, well, sometimes,,,,,,,now where was I?

As mentioned, there are a number of us local that look for crew at times, I am lucky in that I have a 20 yr old daughter and 22 yr old sons that like to come along, along with spouse upon occasion. I sail out of Edmonds, on dock north of David, one dock south of "still in shock" and 14 docks south of "Tenuki"!

So with that......I take you back to your regularly schedules craziness......

marty

ps
David, you going to cyce's change of watch dinner thursday? will have 09 calender along with the SARC to look at. 09 calender is actually online at website.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Marty:

Nope. Not going to the dinner, but you can expect to see more of us on the race course this year... Hope is asking already....

David

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
David,

Good to know you will be out sailing in the races. There is an 09 list on the CYCE website. Or I can email the you list. We also need RC boats, I believe the availible dates are on the website, ie no boat name next to it. Not sure what will happen by the end of thursday. Hopefully many more filled up.

Then the last summer wed will be a photo day for as many boats as I can get out there, including the non racer types. So we can hopefully update the websites "boats of CYCE" page. I'm committee boat, course will be triangular in nature, dock party after, sheryls B-day is two days before.....................

marty

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello,

I know it's almost winter here in Seattle, but I thought I'd ask. My wife and I are looking at getting into sailing and have limited/no experience on a boat. Are any of you still out there in the sound this time of year? Would you be willing to let us crew for you for an afternoon? We are both young (30's) and looking to change our passions from mountains to sea, and could use some perspective.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
email [email protected]
This is a great way to get into sailing and get experience on different boats. I did this when I was your age and never lacked for nice rides and good friends. Enjoy.

Also, if you visit the San Juan's I could easily be persuaded to take you guys out for a sail.:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool

Thanks for the invite. Lina and I were married on Lopez a few years ago, and were within a hair's width of chucking it all and moving up. I love the water, and the islands, just never got to the boating aspect. I've been surrounded by water my whole life (Michigan) and just about everyone I knew was into sailing. I ignored them and traveled to the mountains instead.

We are both pretty excited to crew on some easy cruises and some races too.

Cheers,

Scott

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hey, Bill...

Where do you keep your boat on Lopez?

David

Hey Marty:

Sure, we'd be happy to RC...I want to race with you all a few times before I do. So, you can count on me filling in the blanks

David

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
David,

If you can get a chance, i would also recommend that you crew an RC boat too! I fortunetly did that on paragon before RC'ing myself, otherwise, I would have been totally lost. Or at minimum, see if you can get a person that has done so when it is your turn.

Here is current schedule and non filled in days. Let me know via pm or email what day you would like, or wait until the skips meeting in January to fill out what is left or otherwise.

Scott,

not sure where you are located, but that race schedule works for crewing with myself, and possibly David when he comes out, along with I can probably work on getting you rides with other boats.

Marty

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Marty:

I've RC'd before, but never here, so I would like to make sure that I have my act somewhat together.

yep... my intention is to go along as an RC assistant first. What I might do, which makes sense to me, is "RC crew" for Xcentric, but use my boat that way Xcentric could still sail.

I'd rather stall on signing up until I can set up that situation, but if you wish, I can sign up now.

David

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
What ever works for you, if you stall, then maybe, just maybe, you will not have to worry about RC'ing! any way, waiting is fine by me!

Now I need to talk todd, ie tenuki into getting his phat arse out there!

marty

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey, Bill...

Where do you keep your boat on Lopez?

David

Hey Marty:

Sure, we'd be happy to RC...I want to race with you all a few times before I do. So, you can count on me filling in the blanks

David
I keep her on a mooring in Fisherman bay and pull her during the winter.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
She's beautiful!

I'm surprised that I didn't recognize her... I like that anchorage and usually stop there, but didn't this year...

David

1 - 20 of 36 Posts