SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
8,606 Posts
I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Calculate what has been spent it in the last 10 years. That's what you will be spending in the next 10 years.

And its a Quarter of a MILLION dollars. US Dollars! They're not New Zealand squinklebeckers but real dollars with green stuff on them.
That price + the first few years reconditioning expenses you could look at a good 40ft catamaran which has twice the living space as this 47 footer.

But don't dispare, it's the first boat you've looked at. It's like buying a house 🏡, you want to walk through 100 before you consider popping out your first offer. Only by seeing 100 different types of boats will you be able to narrow it down.

Oh, and forget a crew member. That's about $100k per year for pay, medical, Anual repatriation for vacations, food etc.
Get a modern boat you can sail by yourself 😀😀😀

·
Administrator
8,606 Posts
Whilst I appreciate Jeff's thoughts very much, and I had a very long sailing experience before I own'ed my first boat.. Indeed I sailed since I was 12. However I feel that many sailors put too much emphasis on the difficulty of sailing.
If a person retires now at 50 or 60 from a profession of intellect, with cash to buy a boat big enough to cruise the world, then I say buy it and go now. I say that because if the person has been in a career where they've had to use their brain, an engineer, the sciences, a lawyer, doctor, academic, etc etc then the art or science of sailing is really quite simple and a few months with lessons and Cruising For Dummies on their knee, then they're probable set to make their own voyages of increasing lengths.
Those of a Trade background, plumbers, electricians, farmers, police, military, are probably even better suited for a quick take off because their hands dirty
experience means an engine room is not a shocking new world.

Modern cruising boats are not made for racing.. They are kitted out for lazy people willing to forsake that extra half knot by installing aysemteric spinnakers that don't need spinakker poles, furling mains without reefing lines, jibs that don't need tacking etc etc.

I was shocked the other day to see a cruising boat with running back stays. The couple are new to sailing and didn't know how to clip them forward to shrouds to get them out of the way when not in use... No modern cruising boat has them!

My thoughts are if a person has a brain they can go get a modern boat and head off into dream world in a very short time. Responsibly. Safely. Enjoyably.

Sailing is just not that hard.

Mark.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts