SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

the pointy end is the bow
Summer time is not so good for sailing in the PNW. We motor a lot, and I'm not the only sailor doing so.

I have lots of hours running the work boat at night with the aid of radar and night vision. Knowing how many logs and dead heads are floating around, I don't feel comfortable running my own boat at night unless the water is glass smooth.

If it were me, I would look at the tides and catch an ebb going out Admiralty and avoid travelling at night. If you hit Partridge Point around slackwater, you can ride the flood up Rosario. Your actual travel time will be reduced considerably by using your current tables, although the date you arrive in the San Juans might be later.

sometimes women blink, sometimes they flash. The difference seems trivial with lights, but not with women.

for the sailors who run at night in the Puget Sound area, how do you see the logs and stuff in chop? We made a short run last month at night that started in smooth water and I could pick out the hard stuff pretty well with the naked eye. It got choppy and I switched to using binoculars to scan the water ahead, but it wasn't very effective. I suppose out on the blue water, sailors pretty much rely on a lack of crap in the water. We just don't have that luxury IMO in the Puget Sound.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.