SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Banned
Dylan,

Don't have too much experience in your area, but do have some running at night. We were going out the San Francisco ship channel in the dark, without radar, very rough ocean conditions, and just barely escaped being run down by a big ship. They close on you at an alarming rate!! My experience up north consists of trying to avoid the many wash rocks which seem to be everywhere. Also, big logs in the water are hard enough to see in the daytime, let alone when it is dark. Is your life worth trying to save a few hours?

Dabnis

Banned
Dylan,

As Artbyjody mentioned lights at night can be really confusing. Navigational lights blink, except for range lights, lights on shore are steady, as are lights on ships. The first few times for me running at night were frightening. I never really felt completely comfortable doing it. It would be helpfull if you could go out at night with someone that has experience to see what it is like before just "jumping in" with no experience yourself. Running at night can be very dangerous, especially if you haven't run the course in the daytime before hand.

Dabnis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.