SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Bran new member here. Haven't sailed in a few years. I used to have a 1991 Hunter 23 that I bought at 19, never had been sailing just thought it "looked cool". I was right! Unfortunately I sold my boat during a divorce and I am trying to get another. Money is a bit more of a factor now with 2 boys in my life so I am going a little cheaper and thinking of a trailer sailor for my "re-starter boat". Here is what I am looking at any suggestions would be helpful.

SAILBOAT - 1978 SOUTHCOAST 22 (pop top) by Seacraft $1,200
Boat specs
L.O.L. 22’- 0”
L.W.L. 17’- 6”
Beam 7’ - 1”
Draft Keel Up 0’ - 10”
Draft Keel Down 4’ - 9”
Keel Weight 505 lb.
Sail Area 189 Sq. Ft.
Displacement 1800#

The owner is a nice old man who has had the boat for 25 yrs and claims its in good working order. It comes with a trailer and a running 4 horse. I am going to look at this tmrw. I have 2 boys and an accepting fiance who has never sailed before. thinking of doing mostly daysailing at first hopefully moving into something bigger down the road. Are there any problems with these i should be looking for? it seems underpriced for what it looks and sounds like. Let me know what you think>>>

·
Registered
5 Posts
New guy here also (and brand new to sailing)...I just bought a '71 SC22 pop-top. I paid $1,800 in good, clean condition with a rough (but usable) early '70's Mercury 9.8 hp on the back and a rough (but usable) trailer.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The South coast 22's look like nice starter boats, the thing to look for with any of the older small boats is to see if the decks have soft spots.

My wife and I started out with a simular trailer sailer and had a great time learning to sail. We would stay aboard every weekend and just sail around the lake.

I now live aboard a larger boat but often find I miss sailing my 22 and know it was a great boat for weekend sailing, and have very memorable times with family and friends.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts