SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Sailnetters,

I'm off to the marina after work today.

The projects are 1) rig a reefing line 2) new gasket bead for thermostat, 3) check oil, 4) new hull #'s, 5) find electrical fault with knotmeter & depthsounder.

I know I'll never accomplish all of that. Basic question is on a 30' with a main with one reefing point, what diameter, length, and type of line should I purchase? I'd like to add a vang at some point, but can make do moving the traveler around for now.

Also, tips and tricks for removing long-attached hull #'s?
In an atomic 4, do I check the oil warm or cold? I've been told cold, but it seems so alien that I'd like some reassurance.

Thanks,
Beej

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
for the atomic check both warm and cold...I checked cold and added a little after running the engine a bit....easy to overfill if you get scared plus they like to drink a little oil or a lot if you are low on compression

I used stp zddp additive or like moyer recomends you can use the purple bottle stuff forget what it is...

whats size are your reef cringles? I like thinner line as its easier and faster to haul in...just make sure its not to hard on yor hands...im guessing 3/8ths or a little smaller should be fine

as for the lettering some heat can help...and a scraper...the clean up with alcohol...but it depends really on how stuck they are

good luck

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
I have 1/4" for a flattening reef and 3/8" for the first reef. (or maybe 5/16" for the flattener, I forget)

·
Barquito
3,703 Posts
If you are running a single line reefing system back to the cockpit, the line gets fairly long. Therefore, you need to be careful not to get too much stretch. The last thing you want on a reefed sail is the line stretching, and the sail turning into a bag.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I recommend ⅜" Sta-Set from New England ropes. Any smaller, and you won't be able to get a good hold on it. Any larger and it's overkill. Sta-Set won't stretch appreciably on the relatively short length that you're talking about (maybe 30' if led from the boom end to the mast to the deck to the cockpit) when the sail is reefed. Of course, you need to buy more to allow for when the sail is unreefed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I really appreciate the advise.
I got the depthsounder working and I think the gasket on the thermostat is holding, but I won't know for sure until I run it this weekend.

The darn steaming light is dead though. Looks like a bosun's chair will be the next project for now. The reefing line can wait until I'm qualified to head out in more than 15 knots!

Thanks again,
Beej

1 - 7 of 7 Posts