SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Just bought a 39' O'day. Needs a little love, but otherwise great boat. Looking forward to meeting some of you in person while cruising this summer. For now, doing some repairs to rudder and replacing chainplates along with a host of other small projects. Will be cruising the Upper Gulf Coast till I and the boat get to know each other better. I do have a question for all. The first owner died, not on the boat, and his daughter put a small tin of his ashes(bout the size of a 35mm film roll) on the boat because he loved the boat so much. Didn't find out till after I bought it. Not sure about this. Its kinda creepy, but at the same time, I get the feeling that to remove it would be bad juju. Also, get the feeling that I should name the boat something that would bond the old owner to new. What do you think?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is the boat not named? I always heard that renaming a boat was generally bad juju unless the name was in poor taste or was bad juju itself. Having a container of ashes rolling around would be a bit weird. I have an idea... but depending on your point of view it might be disrespectful... You could always mix the ashes into some of that textured non-slip deck paint. At least he'd always be a part of his boat, and a useful part as well. Might be a little morbid, but I think i'd be ok with it (as boat owner or as ashes)

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,760 Posts
You can rename a boat if you follow the proper de-naming and re-naming ceremony. You must also make the proper offerings to the gods.

I guess that my take on the ashes is that (other than it being more than a little creepy) it isn't his boat anymore (you paid his estate - right?), so you have the option of keeping him aboard as your guest, or not. If not, I would either offer the ashes to his daughter or sail the boat out and perform an internment at sea. Otherwise, you may have issues with his spirit not liking how you sail, where you go, or the upgrades that you perform, etc...

Welcome to Sailnet, and Congrats on the O'day 39. That's a REALLY nice boat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No boat isn't currently named. Not sure if a de-naming ceremony was done. I do know the previous name. Not sure if I should do a de-naming anyway. Noo.....don't think I'm gonna mix his ashes into anything. Nah...not gonna happen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eherlihy,
Thanks for the advice. Sounds good. You're right. It isn't his boat anymore. He apparently was an avid sailor or at least loved his sailboat. So, I think an internment at sea would be appropriate. Good advice. I'll look up some Maritime burial prayers and take care of that with as much respect and taste as possible.

Thanks for the compliment on the boat. Yes it is a REALLY nice boat. It needs love though. Its probably a little big for my first sailboat. I did take solo lessons on a 41 Hunter though. But, it popped up and I grabbed it. I plan to sail it taking trips down Fl coast and to Keys and Bahamas (not right away). Taking 1-2 month long trips for the next year. After a year, I figure I'll be able to make a sound decision based not only on information but experience to go all the way and live aboard. Its something I've dreamed about for years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yorksailor,
Wow, that's a big boat. And a REALLY nice one. I'm guessing you've been sailing a long time. I'm just starting out. Had my 101 lessons last year. My instructor was just placed 14th out of 900 instructors by the ASA. First time I had the boat heeled over and put the rail in the water, My smile would have cut off the top of my head if it were not for my ears. Do you live aboard your boat full time?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.