SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 83 Cal 27 has a depth finder that isn't working. I can't remember the brand off hand but I will be back at the boat later today. It has a round through cabin display, probably 4" diameter. I am bringing my multi-meter with me to make sure it is getting juice, but it is probably just fried.

I need advice on what to replace it with that will fit into the same spot or just buy a different type of meter and do a swing mount display like I have seen others do. I do not have a lot of money to spend on this project, but I really do need some kind of depth gauge so I don't run aground. My sailing area has many shoals and I don't want to get grounded.

What is your recommendations for under $100?

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
GARMIN ECHO 150
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zagleWREL24

just did an install using toilet wax(trick I learned from here)

completely removable and useable on another boat...no need for epoxy, or any mess...

if your hull is solid glass, just sand flat(smooth is a better word) an area adjacent to where the old transducer was installed(why? cause you know that spot works)
leave the old one there just in case you ever get a compatible display unit

Ill take pics next time Im out

also the garmin gives me "water" temp, I call it bilge temp, and voltage! which I didnt know it had that feature...so really you gain 3 things, not to mention the fishfinder features but thats not really why I bought mine

down here the garmin was around 130 but I know in the states they hover around 100...

best $100 spent...

I installed a wood circle cover around the old display hole, and isntalled the adjusteable garmin mount..the neat thing about most fishfinders is you can remove the whole display unit when your off the boat....hence no sun damage which is what did the old signet and most other displays in...

Reactions: copacabana

·
Registered
393 Posts
Zac, check your transducer. On small to medium sailboats, it's quite common to see a "shoot-thru" installation, where the transducer is in a "well" filled with anifreeze as opposed to a thru-hull type.
http://www.shopepal.com/p-1332-raymarine-adjustable-in-hull-transducer.aspx?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=compshop&utm_campaign=cse&gclid=CjwKEAjw68ufBRDt0Zmrn4W_8AwSJADcjp1cHs3enbvQo0_qpZN7uUzROa0facYyOeV0mIX2_PpJGxoCrUPw_wcB

If you have one like this, remove the cap and check to see if it still has liquid inside, because it absolutely WON'T work dry. If it's dry, refill (with propylene glycol antifreeze) and replace the cap, then power up your meter and see if it works.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts