SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are new sailors. We've both taken basic sailing 101 but don't have a lot of sailing hours under our belts. Our boat is a Morgan 382. We were thinking about sailing south on the icw from Portsmouth, NH to FL. Is that too daunting a task for new sailors? Would the sections from Portsmouth on down that are not part of the icw be too difficult for us? Is this a stupid idea or a good way to gain experience?
Thanks,
Laura

· Registered
13 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think doing short hops would suit us better at this point. So along the NJ coast, we can stop in atlantic city and cape may instead of overnighting?
We have an older Eldridge's. We'll need to get a current 2009 version, correct?
BTW, we are currently moored in Mattapoisett at the boatyard.
So this trip is doable with our limited experience? We are in no rush and can take our time. When must you be out of the northeast?
Laura

· Registered
13 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We're not ready to leave right NOW now. So I wonder if it would be more prudent to just wait until next year to do this. I don't want to be pressed for time if we get a late start.

· Registered
13 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Scott,
I wasn't offended in the least by you calling me psychotic. When I step back and look at what we plan on doing, it is pretty crazy with the kids and all.
I think the kids are why I am a bit hesitant about just going for it now. I am sure if it was just my husband and I, we would definitely do it.
We have discussed heading south and if we felt it was too much for us, turning back, or putting the boat on the hard wherever it was and then returning home. So that is an option.
I appreciate any advice/help you or the other sailnetters have to offer.
Thanks,
Laura

· Registered
13 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Experienced crew or captain is a good idea. That would definitely give me peace of mind having someone with experience on board. Hopefully they wouldn't mind being too crowded by all of us. Would I just post under the "crew wanted" section when we are ready to go?

· Registered
13 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Auspicious,
Thanks for your great advice and kind words. We've been away all week on the boat so I am just back to this thread now.
I do think it would be a bit much for a delivery captain to be on a 38' boat with all of us. I don't think I would feel too comfortable being in tight quarters with someone I don't know either.
Taking an offshore/blue water course would be ideal. I am really leaning towards putting this off until next year and spending next summer sailing all around maine and gaining more experience. I believe there are offshore sailing courses offered up here so I'll have to look into that.
Laura

· Registered
13 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You really could catch up in both time and experience, if one of you took the boat to Norfolk with an experienced delivery captain. I wouldn't think it would take more than a week or two (depending on where Hurricane Bill and future friends were headed), and more than a grand or two (depending on the captain's monetary needs).

It does make me a little sad that you are considering spending a cold winter in Maine, instead of heading out on an adventure to warmer climes.
It makes us sad too! We are now back to talking about hiring a captain and having my husband go and I stay home with the kids and then meet him later. Do you think going to Chesapeake would be ok? We thought maybe we could go to the boat show in october. Would we be able to handle to boat from there after my husband has had a week or so experience with a captain? Or would it be better to go all the way to Norfolk?
The main reason we wanted to get down to FL this year is my dad has terminal cancer. My parents live in Melbourne and I thought we could anchor or moor close to them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.