SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Somewhat Flexible Member
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this old gal, but the old Yamnar 2qm20 (thought it was a 2gm20) has given up the ghost. I have a lead on a fresh 30hp atomic four gasser for a reasonable price. Will that thing fit thru the companionway? Was hoping maybe to get some tips from someone who has done this. Or should I go back with another diesel? This is a winter project and I'm in no big hurry as I still have my Hunter 25 to sail for now...

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,637 Posts
It honestly doesn't make sense to install an inboard gasoline engine willingly when the diesel that was in there is probably rebuildable if not, you can find another.

Think of this way, fixing repairing or replacing the diesel will at least give the boat some value if when you decide to sell it. With an A4 you probably won't be able to give it away although there are some people that love those things..

·
Registered
2,193 Posts

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
Just to be clear. Betas are diesels.

I have a bit of a bias against rebuilding 40+ year old motors, especially ones that are dead. It can certainly be done well, by a reputable shop. However, there is no standard for what a rebuild means. They're usually just fancy sounding repairs and the engine remains loaded with 40 year old parts that might fail next. Throw in all the labor and an after market Beta probably isn't all that much more and you're new!. New feels goooooood.

A friend just repowered their old Westerbeke with a Nanni aftermarket, rather than rebuild. They'd have gone Beta, but the shop they brought the old Westerbeke to for a rebuild estimate also sold Nanni.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
The first thing to do is determine if the Yanmar is repairable, and if so, how much. Whether it is worth putting a lot of money into really depends on the engine. Is it fresh water or raw water cooled? A lot of boats back then had raw water cooled engines. 40 years of sea water circulating through an engine will take its toll on even the most meticulously maintained engines.

If the engine is not repairable the last thing you want to do is retrofit to an obsolete gas engine! Gasoline on a sailboat is just a bad idea! They don't call them Atomic Bombs for nothing!

If the boat is worth repowering it is worth putting another diesel in.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Dirt Free
3,037 Posts
Are you aware of the different fuel tank installation, engine compartment, fuel system, ventilation and ignition protection, charger installation and other electrical requirements for a gasoline engine ? If you don't do this right, you will not get insurance and no sensible person will get on your boat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts