SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boat has an older 10 amp Newmar ABC charger. It works well and I see no reason to "upgrade" it. I do wonder if I can do "something" to make it more useful now that I have a ACR and isolated / combine switching for my Battery banks. I am assuming the ACR makes it unnecessary to have 2 sets of charging leads to each battery bank.
looks like this

http://www.newmarpower.com/Manuals/Manual-ABC-12-8,%2015,%2025.pdf

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
That manual doesn't have one word about charging voltage, nor did I see bulk, absorption, or float mentioned. Strikes me as a constant voltage charger instead of a proper 3 stage one.

·
Dirt Free
2,763 Posts
Those old ferro resonant type chargers make for much shorter battery life.

·
Super Moderator
6,777 Posts
That manual doesn't have one word about charging voltage, nor did I see bulk, absorption, or float mentioned. Strikes me as a constant voltage charger instead of a proper 3 stage one.
These are old school low tech chargers that do your battery no favors... They are reliable, because they are simple but beyond that you could not pay me to have one for use other than a constant voltage power supply.. They are basically a dockside power supply maxing out IIRC at about 13.4V. I do not consider these a battery "charger".... Batteries NEED gassing voltages to remain healthy, Trojan and US Battery both want to see upwards of 14.8V in absorption mode.. These chargers do not properly charge lead acid batteries...

There are LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of horrible chargers out there. Most "smart" chargers are anything but "smart".... Read the manuals and question everything when it comes to battery "chargers"..... Buyer beware.....

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankfully I almost never need or use it. thanks gents!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Take a look at the Newmar Phase Three chargers if you decide to replace your old ferro charger. As you've found out, Newmar makes very reliable equipment.
If you have any questions about chargers, give "Kap" Kaplan at Newmar a call.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Denise

If you decide to replace ot the Promariner Pronautic P is an excellent choice. Mainesail prefers it as well.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I won't be buying one. I've hardly ever used it except to actually charge batteries when they went dead from age. It must have some reliability to it Lewmar is still making them. Buy buy buy! has to stop stop stop!

anyway.. need to ID my Alt. it's noisy. Making a new post for that.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well per MS I would only "need" it dock side and that's doubtful here at my club and on the mooring. So It stays for now. thanks Brian.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Do you charge with solar? If not it would be a good idea to get a smallish panel - say 50 watts or so - and a Genasun controller. Your batteries will be a lot happier.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have 10 watts and a small controller. seems to be all that it ever needed until one of the group 27 had a bad cell and drained the other 3. Now I have 1 grp 27 for the engine, and 2, 6 volt grp 24 for the house.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes Brian that's all I've needed since she sits there on the mooring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts